• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My build so far ...engine source

Tyla's toy

Contributor
Loc.
Martha's vineyard
I'm grateful for the open and honest information I've been able to glean from this forum. So here it goes...

My build is a 66. Everything below is here or in transit unless noted as undecided

New Dana 44 moly 31 arb 5.13 disc
New bb 9" moly 31 Detroit 5.13 disc
Duff 5.5 monster "M" kit long travel
Duff body mounts and 2" aluminum body lift
Duff long travel traction bar
Duff track bar
Dana 20 rebuilt. I talked with a few actual atlas salesmen and my use etc led them to recommend the Dana. I was surprised at the honesty when I could have been sold an atlas with zero effort. Gotta love Bronco people.
Hydro braking still sourcing undecided
Hydro ram assist steer still sourcing undecided (probably the Texas auto redneck)
Transmission is still up for discussion but most here have pushed for the 4rw70 haven't ordered yet but was thinking I should call Basals. Undecided
I'm planning on running something along the lines of 38x15.50 undecided

Now on to engine.
My use will be 95% pavement and 5% beach. I live on Martha's Vineyard island massachusetts. If and when I trail ride it will be minimal and very much novice. There will be no rocks for me, my primary use will be taking the kids to get ice cream and pizza in a resort community. I have a 74 which may be a build for severe duty purposes like climbing.

I'm thinking stroker 408-427 want 500hp/500tq. Fuel injected.

I've owned big block chevelles, camaros and a few other high powered vehicles. I like the sound, feel and nothing sounds better than the howl of a big tire smoking!

I've spoken with a lot of engine builders and can't help but feel like there has to be a source who is bronco specific. It would make me more comfortable and In my experience so far the Bronco people have been over the top helpful.

Thanks for any input... Feel free to pm if necessary.

turbotim2

Now on to engine.
My use will be 95% pavement and 5% beach. I live on Martha's Vineyard island massachusetts. If and when I trail ride it will be minimal and very much novice. There will be no rocks for me, my primary use will be taking the kids to get ice cream and pizza in a resort community. I have a 74 which may be a build for severe duty purposes like climbing.

I'm thinking stroker 408-427 want 500hp/500tq. Fuel injected.

Well that would certainly get the kids to the ice cream shop in a hurry!

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
If you have the budget, no cookie cutter engine company (DSS, CHP, etc.) will be able to touch Woody's knowledge and experience. He built my 418, went to his shop in Chicago to pick it up. I've never seen so many multi-thousand dollar engines being working on and waiting to be worked on. NEVER heard a bad word about his product, can't say the same for anyone else.

Another tip, alot of builders recommend staying at a 4.000" or at MOST a 4.100" crank, due to rod ratio angles and the pressure it puts on the cylinder walls, the larger the stroke the less longevity you will see out of it. Now if you're going big bore (4.125" or better) to reach that 427, that's a different story, it can be done with a 4.00" crank, but requires an aftermarket block of course.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Wow- sounds like an awesome build... wish I had the cash laying around to have all those parts on order!! LOL! You need to keep this thread updates and add pics.

Anyway- having grown up in Mass and knowing their lift laws, I hope you have some friends in law enforcement on the island. 38s and a healthy engine will get the attention of the Mass State Gestapo... I mean Troopers!! LOL!!

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Wow! Go big or go home! You sure you wanna go that big for 95% pavement? Don't get me wrong, lots of big mall crawlers around here! Looking forward to your build, you got one helluva parts list to complete!

OP
OP
T

Tyla's toy

Contributor
Loc.
Martha's vineyard
Wow- sounds like an awesome build... wish I had the cash laying around to have all those parts on order!! LOL! You need to keep this thread updates and add pics.

Anyway- having grown up in Mass and knowing their lift laws, I hope you have some friends in law enforcement on the island. 38s and a healthy engine will get the attention of the Mass State Gestapo... I mean Troopers!! LOL!!

Ya I been around the island my whole... Friends in low places! The duff kit arrived last night. The rest of the chassis parts should be by Christmas. Body is heading to the soda blaster....

OP
OP
T

Tyla's toy

Contributor
Loc.
Martha's vineyard
Wow! Go big or go home! You sure you wanna go that big for 95% pavement? Don't get me wrong, lots of big mall crawlers around here! Looking forward to your build, you got one helluva parts list to complete!

Can't run with the big dogs if you're afraid to come off the porch! My 74 has 37" which feels right. I wanted a few more inches lift for the long travel but mostly for the fact I can't stand tires stuffed in wheel wells.... Almost as much as I hate anything with a saggy ass!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tyla's toy

Contributor
Loc.
Martha's vineyard
If you have the budget, no cookie cutter engine company (DSS, CHP, etc.) will be able to touch Woody's knowledge and experience. He built my 418, went to his shop in Chicago to pick it up. I've never seen so many multi-thousand dollar engines being working on and waiting to be worked on. NEVER heard a bad word about his product, can't say the same for anyone else.

Another tip, alot of builders recommend staying at a 4.000" or at MOST a 4.100" crank, due to rod ratio angles and the pressure it puts on the cylinder walls, the larger the stroke the less longevity you will see out of it. Now if you're going big bore (4.125" or better) to reach that 427, that's a different story, it can be done with a 4.00" crank, but requires an aftermarket block of course.

I have a decent budget but not crazy $12-14k would be comfortable. Who would woody be? Thanks for the advice, nothing beats experience.

Ourobos

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Big Island Hawaii
Jim Wood (Woody) owns fordstrokers.com

He's the machinist, and has several great tech articles out there to for small block fords. VERY knowledgeable, give him a call and see what he can do for you. Other than buidling an engine myself from scratch (and farming out the machine work), he'd be the only guy I'd deal with. I've built over 150 SBFs myself.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
REALLY? where abouts if i may ask?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
AH, lunenburg st? very nice! heard very good things. i work just minutes from there if i can ever be any help.....have a shed full of stuff if you need something, ask!

OP
OP
T

Tyla's toy

Contributor
Loc.
Martha's vineyard
Awesome! Thanks... Ill let you know when the chassis is done and I'm headed that way with it to fit the body before paint. If you can break free your welcome to check it out.

I have a fb page for the build

1966 early bronco build

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
cool! will check it out......drop me a line if you need anything