• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My edelbrock croaks off road...suggestions

Mike Hewett

My edelbrock performer floods and dies when I am climbing or bouncing off road. How hard is it to put the parts in to fix this?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Installaing the 'off-road' needle and seat kit and dropping the float levels is easy..for that matter ANYTHING to do with working on an Edelbrock is easy...you don't even have to pull the carb off to do about anything to them. An in-line fuel pressure regulator set to about 4 psi or thereabouts is also a further help.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I finally got mine bearable offroad by doing what bmc69 suggested. I also closed off the top cross-over channel.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
It is really hard to get edelbrock carbs to work well offroad. There are things you can do to help like was mentioned in the link provided by 70_Steve. I've been running an edelbrock for many years now and have basically given up using it as an offroad carb. It runs like a scorched cat on flat pavement, but an offroad carb it is not. I plan on going to fuel injection.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I fixed my edelbrock by swapping it out for a q-jet out of the junkyard. I took it out climbing with no problems. I could sit and idle at all angles with no sputters. My buddy still had his performer and couldn't keep it running on most of the rocky stuff. The performer does run better on the street, but it also eats more gas than the q-jet.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
I did the tricks at pirate and ran around at Katemcy no problem. Its a matter of playing around with it and then learning the limits of your carb. mine has a problem stalling out when going down a steep hill. So I drop it to nuetral, bump the gas with my right to keep the engein going and just let gravity slowly wheel me down hill. But running an auto with a ratchet shifter works GREAT cause I drop from 1st to nuetral with the quick flip of my wrist.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
I got mine working fairly decent after doing the off-road needle, float kit (including some foam in the chamber), modifying the cross over, fuel pressure regulator, and power braking while going up hill to keep engine above 1200rpm ... all that helped, but didn't fix it. After ballancing on the very back of my rear bumper a few too many times due to the carb cutting out while climbing, I ripped it out and built up an SEFI system.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I run an edelbrock with a by-pass regulator set at 3-4 psi and have had great success with it. Lots o people don't like the carbs but mine runs at better angles than my c-4. Another issue most overlook is cfm. I run the 500 cfm unit, a 600 is too much for the slower bouncy stuff.