• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My front winch bumper build thread(update 5/18, not done, but installed)

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Yo guys
I started the build of my bumper last night, so I decided to start a new thread to document the build.

Picked up some steel yeasterday
2 peices of 2x8 3/16th
2 peices of 2x5 3/16th

Last night I made the first two cuts from the 2x8 tubbing
I read a few other bumper build threads, and they all used 2x6 tubbing, by going with 2x8 I was able to cut the back side of what will be the side peices, instead of the front like I saw in the other threads. I like this option, as the welding will be on the back side of the bumper, giving the front edge a cleaner look with less grinding after welding.

Here are some pics, the first 2 pics the plan of the bumper, 3rd pic laying out the template, 4th pic, clampping metal to help get straight cuts, last two pics, side peices cut. By going with 2x8 peices, I have two extra peices of metal I can use for bracing of the ends

Will post more pics as I make more progress, and assemble the bumper

Attachments

• fab.jpg
    fab.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 214
  • fab2.JPG
    fab2.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 255
  • bumpbuild.jpg
    bumpbuild.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 199
  • bumpbuild (1).jpg
    bumpbuild (1).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 205
  • bumpbuild (2).jpg
    bumpbuild (2).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 225
  • bumpbuild (3).jpg
    bumpbuild (3).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
My 4.5" grinder cuts like butter! It just burns through cutting disks.... The hardest part for me is getting a 'scribe' in first that is straight, after that it just burns through.

Your bumper is looking great.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
OK pics number 2
did a rough cut on the frame rail peices, and cut two little wedges out some of the extra material

Just for the hell of it I tuened the frame rail peices upside down, put the end peice, and a wedge , and took two pics

First pic, frame rail peices
pics 2 and 3 the frame rail, end peice, and wedge sitting upside down

Attachments

• bumperbuild.jpg
    bumperbuild.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 175
  • bumperbuild (1).jpg
    bumperbuild (1).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 194
  • bumperbuild (2).jpg
    bumperbuild (2).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 181
OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
right now $85 bucks what you see in the pics. Not sure what the other metal shop will charge me for the winch mount, and the center plate

I also orderd 25 grade 8 flange nuts and bolts from McMaster-Carr
$11.41 for the bolts
$8.65 for the nuts

Really only need 12 or so, but since I will have 25 I may bolt the end peices to the center before I weld it all together, so even if the welds brake, the bolts will hold it together

Edit I looked at my recept from the steel place, it was $60 not $85 like I thought, even better

Last edited:

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I know you can buy the shackle mounts off of Ebay but I cut mine out of 3/4" x 1.5" bar stock. Drilling the 7/8" holes was kinda tricky.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Though not particularly cheap, Ballistic has some nice shackle mounts that may or may not work well with your bumper design: http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Tabs_c_231.html

Poly Perf has something similar here: http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Poly-Performance-Weld-On-Clevis-Mount-p-24739.html

I prefer shackles, but there's something to be said about captured D-rings that can't be stolen. If you do use a weld-on D-ring, make sure it's forged and properly rated for it's capacity. Here's a link to one I was considering for a project a while back.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Though not particularly cheap, Ballistic has some nice shackle mounts that may or may not work well with your bumper design: http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Tabs_c_231.html

Poly Perf has something similar here: http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Poly-Performance-Weld-On-Clevis-Mount-p-24739.html

I prefer shackles, but there's something to be said about captured D-rings that can't be stolen. If you do use a weld-on D-ring, make sure it's forged and properly rated for it's capacity. Here's a link to one I was considering for a project a while back.
What's your opinion on the d-rings and brackets off a Hummer H2?