• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My grandfather passed away today.

sk1nw4lk3r

Not looking for attention, or pity - just looking to get a final word in on my Grandfather, Paul Hatton.

He was an incredibly talented man. Painting, flaming, pinstriping cars since the 50s. He was a household name around the Detroit region for anyone into cars.

He lettered the 1970 Mustang Boss 429 LAWMAN cars that toured the world, hundreds of old Hot Rods and Drag cars, boats, airplanes, etc.

NfUz4jm.jpg

In going through his old photos, I found this one.

hZ8ULx7.jpg

This was Doug Nash's Bronco Buster Funny Car. He painted and lettered this car for Doug Nash, who was a fellow Detroiter and drag racer, as well as inventor of several 4 and 5 speed racing transmissions.

bronco_buster_1.jpg

Anyway, in case anyone knew of him, he peacefully slipped away earlier this morning. Many of his cars are still out there, some in Museums.

He has two sons that are both in the auto body/restoration industry as well, out of Murfreesboro, TN. Both were lucky enough to get even a fraction of his talent.

I can likely spend some time in the next few days posting more pictures of some of his more famous work, if anyone would like to see.

I know this forum is frequented by a few other Detroiters here, hopefully this thread gets seen by someone that knew or knew of Hatton. He touched a great many motorheads.

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I remember that drag racing eb.

And I am certain I heard his name in the old hot rod mags I read as a kid,

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow...you gradnfather's work is very well known to an old guy like me who started following drag racing in the late 1960s. I remember the LAWMAN and many of Doug Nash's rides too.

Sorry for your loss, but what a legacy!...something you are obviously and justifiably very proud of.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
SORRY to hear and sorry for your loss !

Please accept my / all our deepest condolences for your family's loss.

post as many photos as you find time for ....we all would like to see and remember your grandfathers famous work !

Franko

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Very sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family have my condolences.

He was a very talented man! Nothing but respect for his work!

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Very sorry for your loss. I’m sure he was a very cool man.

Many long-time Bronco enthusiasts are familiar with some of the work he did. I always thought that Bronco Buster was a fascinating vehicle ever since I saw it in the Bronco history book 15 years ago.

Definitely post pictures whenever you get the time. We love them around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Sorry to hear that, Looks like great work that he did...

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
thoughts and prayers for one cool dude....sorry

House

Minutia Militia
Sorry for your loss, thank god memories last forever!

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry for you loss. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing the additional photos.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
so sorry for your loss, looks to have been very talented

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
It seems that your grandfather had a good long life and had respect from family and friends. Sorry for your loss but he eared his rest. Until you both meet again.

mtp71174

I know of Paul and his shop on Ford Road in Garden City. My uncle was a good friend and I would stop by his shop in the 70's with my uncle Claude Cochran. Paul was big in the hot rod scene was a true pioneer.

77Bronco636

Sorry for your loss.......
Seen his work before around town as a kid at car shows with my dad.....seemed like a lot of those guys hung out in the Westland, Garden City, Livonia area.....
Seems like all the old timers are passing by these days....
He left his mark on the world for us to enjoy so he will never be forgotten!!!
Thanks for sharing the pics and please share more please.....

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
prayers to you and your family, so much history with your grand pops
get better soon