• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My wish list...now where do I get all this stuff? (long but I really need the help)

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Want to upgrade my stock rear end on a TIGHT budget. Where is the best deal for the following?

Looking to get in on the ARB mass buy if it actually exists. %) If it doesn't come through, where should I buy one? Also which compressor or tank to operate it and also to fill tires?

I guess I'll need 31 spline axles. I think I have a small bearing axle b/c the housing flares out at the ends near the brake backing plate. Does this matter? Do any Ford 9 31 spline axles work (like from mustangs, etc?)

Also want to upgrade my tires to 33x10.5x15's, I can find a good deal on tires through Costco but do I need 4.11 gears for the front and rear or will my stock 3.50 ratio work ok? Engine is a 351W if that helps.

Want a winch. Don't know which one. I want to mount it between the frame and use the stock bumper. Not sure how to quote a previous post but HotWheels did it with a Jeep mounting plate somehow.

Finally, I want a family cage. I CANNOT afford a crab cage or any other cage that is made west of the Mississippi river because of shipping. I'll gladly take a day trip from NC to surrounding states is someone knows of a fab shop that will make one for me.

Remember. TIGHT BUDGET ;D

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Mike at Complete Off road is about as cheap as you will get. Randy's Ring and Pinion are also fair, but sometimes, you have go back and forth. If you contact Mike and ask for his best deal--period...it doesnt get much better. Yes, you should re-gear to 4.11s. You can build a Bronco on a budget, but you should be realistic...regearing and new axles with an ARB is at a minimum $1500-1600...and thats not including any labor or oil or seals, bearings, brakes or other things that should be done while its all apart. Double that figure and you might be back on the road. Save up and do it right...you will kick yourself later if you dont....sometimes you can find people selling complete--beefed up axles b/c they are going bigger...often thats cheaper...but when you do it/have it done yourself you know evrything is fresh and correct.

Everybody has opinions on winches...they can be had for very cheap at Harbor freight...which is basically a re-badged Mile Marker...or vice-versa. If you want a name brand 8K lb winch; your looking at $400 for a mid grade winch. The HF one mentioned can be had for as little as $300...they do offer a warranty and extended plan, so there is that option.

Good luck with your projects. Research everything thoroughly, plan ahead, dont fool yourself into thinking, "I can do this on the cheap for $", when you know it costs 2.5 X $. As for the cage...safety is paramount...if you plan on wheeling or REALLY driving the truck, put in a quality cage. Talk to some local welding shops, fabricators. There are a couple of shops familiar with Broncos in the Knoxville area....there are also alot of ingenuitive guys on this site...kits are a cost-effective option (pre-bent and fit) that can be welded by a competent welder...hence the checking with the local speed shops or welders might find you someone willing to weld up a kit for low $$ instead of bending, fitting one for alot of $$. Again, Best of luck.

John

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
trailpsycho said:
regearing and new axles with an ARB is at a minimum $1500-1600

I second getting ahold of Mike, but what is your definition of a tight budget? I bought all of my gears, axles & ARBs through him over the past year. I got the master install kit for both BB 9" & D44, Yukon 4.11/4.09 gears, Yukon rear 31 splines and ARBs front & rear for $2000 (+/- $100). Add to that the rear disc kit I just bought from Chuck at BC & I have roughly $2500 tied up in parts alone. This doesn't include a compressor for the ARBs mind you either. I was going to go with onboard air but if the mass buy pans out, I am just going to do that for the compressor. I am just getting around to go have it all installed and that is going to be another $6-800, so in all actuallity, I will have in the neighborhood of $3100-3300 in just my axles (that is double what I paid for the thing 12 years ago LOL)

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ARB and "tight budget" in the same sentence really don't belong together. If you're going to go through the expense of buying and then installing an ARB you may as well overhaul the diff at the same time with new bearings and such...you'll kick yourself if you reuse your old 3.50 gears.

I have 33's with a 351W and 3.50 gears and it does just fine, but there's no way I wouldn't take the opportunity to regear it lower when I swap in my Detroit. I'm also looking at upgrading to 35"-37" tires as well though.

Your best bet may be to find somebody upgrading to 1 ton junk and selling their built Bronco axles and then fixing whatever may be wrong with them. I've seen pretty good deals on Dana 44's and Ford 9's that were built with lockers and beefed up axles/joints for anywhere from $1000-$2400 just depending on the details.

I would agree with those above me in that a safety cage is not something you want to scrimp on. Do it once and do it right. If you go the weld-in kit route, you might just start with a basic 4/6-point setup that has the ability to easily grow into an 8/10-point family style in the future if that's important to you.

Good luck on your quest to build an inexpensive Bronco...I've already failed so the pressure is off for me :D

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
I guess you are all right. I am fooling myself into thinking I can do it on a tight budget. What I originally meant by tight budget is suggestions for parts that are not the most expensive ones but are the best value (excepet the arb!). I have seen axles, gear, cage and winch prices all across the board. I just trying to find the cheapest parts that are'nt cheap in quality. I like trailpsychos idea of buying a complete rear axle. Just need to find one.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
boy do I disagree,
YOU can do this on a tight budget!
I have purchased a BB9 and a D44 and added discs up front .
I have one ARB for the front . the only things I need to finish is gears front and rear and an ARB for the rear, oh and rear Axles. and Ball joints front.
I am slowly gathering all this , and only have $600 into all this%) Patience Grasshopper;)
Ok So I started this 2 years ago:cry:

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mike at Complete Off road is the way to go
Unless you get lucky like the guy above and find a ARB on craigslist for nothing.............

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Another vote for Mike at Complete Offroad. Good prices and excellent customer service.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
77BroncoWag said:
Mike at Complete Off road is the way to go
Unless you get lucky like the guy above and find a ARB on craigslist for nothing.............

Is that a hint of jealousy I hear? That was an amazing score...but I'd rather drive my Bronco this year ;D

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Apogee said:
Is that a hint of jealousy I hear? That was an amazing score...but I'd rather drive my Bronco this year ;D

Yep still drivin mine too ,I just decided to upgrade as the deals come to me, then I will wait for seabiscuit to get his rig ready and I will roll my current axels out from under mine and under his .
then roll my new stuff in place, they are only 4 feet apart. come to think of it , they are like kids, always more happy when they got company;)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As the others said budget and broncos dont mix all your wishes are wishes and not really needed although the cage would be #1 you can run the 33's with 3.50 gears but if you have the stock 3 sp you may not be overly happy with the lowend but the 351 should make up for it. So you could hold off on the arb and regear for a while. You axle sounds like its a big bearing axle as small bearing axles dont flare out near the backing plate. EB axle shafts are needed no other housing has the same lenght shafts aftermarket 31 spline shafts are fairly cheap yukons go for about $240
As for a winch do you get into areas where you need it or is it just a want? If you will hardly ever use it try harbor frieght they sell a no name brand which happens to be a mile marker winch without the name for about $300. If you need it all the time then dont scimp get a big name.
really everything you listed are things that are nice but not really needed right here and now so I would shop around take your time to find the best deals.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
skrit said:
.........I guess I'll need 31 spline axles. I think I have a small bearing axle b/c the housing flares out at the ends near the brake backing plate. Does this matter? Do any Ford 9 31 spline axles work (like from mustangs, etc?) .......................................

The axle tubes flaring at the brake backing plate means it is a Big Bearing:D