• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

near empty fuel filter

71 SPORT

Loc.
LAKEWOOD COLORADO
Is it normal for my fuel filter to be near empty all the time ? Even on start up (no heat) , if i turn the key to the on position it will fill up almost all the way but while running it nearly empties and bubbles up some fuel occasionally. I have a carter electric pump and i just redone my fuel lines with metal lines on the outside of the frame rails , thinking possibly a pin hole in the rubber hose on the sucking side but still nearly empties out. It stays around 6 psi and doesn't stall . its not the tank i installed a new 23 gal. and the filter before the pump fills up completely and stays that way. Is it possible the selector valve is not sealing off completely from the aux tank (i rarely use the aux tank and is usually empty) ? I have one of those glass filters to see this happening .

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think its fairly normal. My theory on this is a little air gets trapped in the filter due to the needle valve in the carb closing and fuel level in the filter covering the outlet so it wont fill up all the way. Shouldnt be a issue

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
While that is pretty much normal, it could be getting some air from the selector switch. They do leak from the seal like a kitchen faucet when they get some age on them.

blubberfet

There is always some air in my filter. It runs around 1/2 to 3/4 full of fuel when running. When it sits for a day or two it will be empty. I can't find a leak anywhere and it starts right up. I have a mechanical pump.

markperry

Bronco Guru
If you are running rubber lines anywhere, you might check the clamps too see if they are tight enough, you could be getting air in through them also. The rubber line will collapse when they get older, need too check that also!