• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a mechanic in DC

Miller

Hey ya'll,

Looking for a mechanic in the DC area. here's the story

Just bought myy first Bronco. It's a 67 Roadster with a 302 V8 and a 3-speed on the floor, drum brakes. Yellow body and purple seat, my friends call it the P-Wagon.

The story varies, but I'm pretty sure it has been used very little in 10 years and hasn't been run for at least 6 months. I replaced the radiator (old one was rottedout) plugs, wires, other stuff and fired it up for the first time yesterday. Starts great but smokes like a champ after about 6 blocks. The engine is covered in gunk, I think there is a leak in the transmision and engine seal, the brakes seem to have two settings (nothing or screaching halt), the engine started knocking a little but seemed strong, everything smells bad (brakes, oil, gas, something else). Not sure if i filled up the radiator right, might have air in it and the engine was real hot when I stopped.

So here's the thing. I need a mechanic to give it the once over and take a look at the brakes, engine, and transmission and tell me what to fix and what to rebuild / replace. I also need somebody who isn't scared to replace the engine and transmission for me. WIth ya'll help, I'm sure I can buy the right parts when the time comes.

I got the money to spend, but one local shop guy told me he has enough junk of his own that he doesn't need to work on mine.

Anybody got a mechanic or shp they would recommend?
Thanks ya'll