• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a welder - for beginner

mikemc

Loc.
Lake Tahoe
Welding for beginners…

I need to replace my R/L floorboards and kick boards. I ordered the metal from the Bronco Graveyard. Now which welder should I get? I’ve never used a welder but I’m pretty dangerous with a soldier gun. Got the burns to prove it!

The last floorboards I replaced were in a ’62 Morris Miner woody and I used pop rivets and fiberglass back then. It seems you guys all use welders so… that’s why I’m asking. I figured I can’t do too much damage on the floors, right? I mean if I going to learn I might as well learn on the floors.

So what is the simplest welder I can get away with? I’d be doing this in my home garage so I don’t want to blow anything up. I also need to fill some gaps in my roll bar too.

Thanks for your help. Mike

sleddogs

I use the Lincoln 100 welder. It does all right. I used it on my VW bug. I would recommend the Lincoln 135 Mig welder, so you can weld thinner metal. I am going to convert mine to Mig when I start my panels. Just my 2 cents

FFMDX

Loc.
Roseville, CA
Miller 175. If you go smaller and start to weld and weld and weld, you're gonna want more out of your machine. I'm still a newb at welding and I started with the miller 175 ( I also tried the Lincoln 100 and 135) and don't regret it one bit. I went to gas recently and have done a bunch of project from a dash to rock skiis and couldn't ask for more except for a plasma cutter! ;D

My $0.0002

Sean

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
A 135 amp wire feed welder will weld pretty much anything for the average person. The only place I've used the Arc Welder instead by choice was on the drop reciever hitch I made to pull my trailers with. (I needed to weld 2" thick bar) A 135 amp will weld up to 1/4" as long as you run flux core wire. (I've welded about 1/2" by preheating with a torch) For welding sheetmetal you will want to run smaller solid wire with gas shielding though which will help keep it from blowing holes.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) What ever you get make sure it is 220 volt and use solid wire and gas. The others dont do well good luck with your choice. :cool: :cool: :cool: Bill :p ;D %)

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
wildbill said:
%) %) %) What ever you get make sure it is 220 volt and use solid wire and gas. The others dont do well good luck with your choice. :cool: :cool: :cool: Bill :p ;D %)
I guess I better throw the 110 volt 135 amp one I've been using to weld with using flux core wire then. I hope my radius arms don't fall off. %)

yardegg

If you want to do any more than thin metal which if you get good enough
will surely happen, don't go any smaller than 200 amp. I have 250 amp.
Most bigger machine's can do shielded or flux wire, most application's even
dirty or thick metal can be done with gas shield. With a little prep work
"cleaning" you can weld metal as thin as 16 to 18 gauge metal, better get use
to welding first for that thin, if you have never welded before you better
start out with an 8lb. spool of wire probably .025 and 75/25 gas.
Stick welding is my preference for most thing's but wire is the way to go
for beginner's for sure. If you think you will do more than thin go the bigger
welder and work up to .035 wire you will like it better.