• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need C4 expert tech advice

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I searched through the archives a bit, but didn't find exactly what I was lookin for.

I've got a leak at the selector shaft. I have the new lip seal, and I've removed the kickdown, and neutral safety switch. I ran into trouble when I tried to take the linkage off that's on the shaft, behind the switch (the one the gear selector rod attaches to, coming from the steering column)
I thought it should come off, to get at the seal behind it, but it aint movin, and I didn't want to force it.

the leak seems to be coming from between it and the trans, so I probably need to do the internal seal too. (part# for that one?)

can somebody give me a quick rundown on this? Pretty please?
I couldn't find my Motor Manual that has this info.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
,,,,,,,the only seal you can replace from the outside is the O-ring on the end of the selector shaft behind the kick down lever,,,,,to replace the seal your talkin' about you need to remove the pan & filter then unbolt the valve body to get at the nut on the end of the selector shaft,,,

OP
OP
ugly74

ugly74

Bronco abuser
so is the seal behind the kickdown just a plain ol' round rubber o-ring? I don't even think there was one on there.
and the interior seal is an actual lip seal?

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Ugly74, you are correct. The selector shaft seal is specific to that application. The kick-down rod seal is a normal o-ring.

OP
OP
ugly74

ugly74

Bronco abuser
happen to have diameters for that o-ring...ID & OD?

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
happen to have diameters for that o-ring...ID & OD?

I dont know the dimension but the excact same o-ring is found on the modulator as well.

To replace the manual lever metal clad seal you will need to remove the valve body, but removal of the filter from the valve body is not necessary in order to get at the nut holding the shift lever on.

OP
OP
ugly74

ugly74

Bronco abuser
okay, got the seal replaced. piece of cake.
I'll track down the o-ring today, the old one was there, but it's got a bunch cracks in it.

I'm glad I didn't pry on the last lever on the shaft! since it is part of the shaft and all. I had figured it was "keyed" on there.