• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need distributor advice

screamin reel

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta, Ca
A little background on what I am doing.

5.8L (351W) from an 89 F250 rebuilt .020, 30,000 miles ago
Was run on propane and switching to carb 2bbl, 2150

This will be a daily driver nothing fancy done to engine.

Pulled all the Duraspark stuff dizzy, module, wiring etc. from an 85 Merc.

Should I;

1) Replace pick up, rotor and cap $60
2) Rebuilt dizzy for $100
3) Have a chance at a MSD 8578 on ebay which would mean I also need to run the MSD box correct.

Attachments

• MSD 8578.jpg
    MSD 8578.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 6

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Given my stock 302 re-use, I went with a remanufactured stock dist and duraspark. Easy to troubleshoot, get parts, and keep your old as trail spares.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I run the Duraspark in my 86 351, which is basically stock except for the RV cam. Runs fine. Upgrade wiring diagrams are plentiful, and the upgrade really is easy enough to do. As mentioned, parts are easy to find and relatively inexpensive. Rebuild the distributor if it needs rebuilding, or use it as a core for a remaned one...

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm running the MSD distributor you have shown on my 393 and I like it. Using MSD-6A box and blaster SS coil. The only problem I had was running the wire from the MSD box to the distributor too close to 12V wires. This would confuse the MSD box sometimes and it wouldn't fire. After spending some time on the phone with Tech Support I rerouted it awy from all other wiring and haven't had any problems since.