• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Help! Top removal

Broncboozled

Loc.
Nor Cal
Ok Boys and Girls here is the deal.

I removed every bolt except 1. It's the one closest to the drivers door. Looks like a guy could get a super long 1/2" wrench to get the bottom side. Here lies the problem. I have this fancy snake camera so I stuck it in there to have a looksie and the PO has duct tape wrapped around the nut, so theres no way to get a wrench on it. I can't get my hands in there to remove the big ball of duct tape, I think I may be screwed. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Can u move it at all from the other side? Could be the duct tape was used to wedge the nut while turning it from the other side.

Pics might help with more answers.

lasadoor

Loc.
San Diego
can you get some needlenosed pliers in there? maybe try wd-40 or pb blaster to dissolve the glue on the duct tape.

OP
OP
B

Broncboozled

Loc.
Nor Cal
The nut just spins from the top side. No way to get needle nose pliers in there. I may try the WD40 thing.

Thanks for the ideas,

Rob

ren71

maybe heat up the boltthead somehow to melt the adhesive, soldering iron seems safe. Then use a long screwdriver to remove the wad?

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Hold the head with vise grips and drill the head off.Put in nut-serts when you put the top back on. Eliminate the headache.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Get a long fireplace match and burn the duct tape off - although if you still have the vapor canister in the quarter panel, this may not be the best idea.

Ovalis

Contributor
Loc.
Los Angeles
If all else fails, my vote is for the cut off wheel. It's the quickest way, and you only lose a $1 bolt.

OP
OP
B

Broncboozled

Loc.
Nor Cal
If it's like mine I can't remove the cover until I remove the rollbar,can't remove the rollbar until I remove the top. Back to square one...

Exactly!! I got it up enough to use a cutoff wheel on it. Now I just need to get the wheel.

Thanks for all of Your help everyone.

Rob

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Duct tape, WTF... Musta been before the roll bars went in..

OP
OP
B

Broncboozled

Loc.
Nor Cal
It's safe to say that the Top has been on the Bronco for the last time. What a PIA it was to take it off. Took me all effin Day!!!! I finally cut off the bolt with my grinder, well half way then it was so tight the grinder wouldn't fit anymore, so I whaled on it with a chisel a few times, then took vice grips to bend it and break it off. It took almost as long is this run on sentence. lol

Finally it's off too Dark to take pics will upload them in the Morning!!

Thanks again for everyones help,

Rob