• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need insurance for off-road only Bronco in PA

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I have searched here on CB.com, Pirate and Google exhaustively trying to figure out how to insure my non-street legal, off-road only Bronco. I can't go through regular insurance because it's not street legal. I can't go through Hagerty's or Grundy's (already tried and been declined) or any of the classic car companies because it goes offroad. I just want some coverage in case my garage burns down (trust me homeowner's doesn't cover this) or if I'm hauling it on a trailer and get in a wreck (not covered under tow vehicle's policy) and am not looking for coverage while I'm driving it offroad. I'm also not sure what would happen if a passenger in my Bronco got hurt on a trail.

I am currently with Allstate and my agent is a fellow wheeler who really tried to find a way to get me covered, but with no luck. He has a street legal Jeep though his case is different.

Do any of you guys that have off-road only Bronco's have any suggestions?

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I doubt you will find any coverage. Maybe check at Pirate4x4 or professional offroaders but they may only cover sancationed racing?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Give some thought to making it street legal and here's why. If no insurance carrier is willing to insure you then your biggest personal exposure is for bodily injuries and property damage to others if you are in an off road type accident and it's your fault. I'm sure the cost related to making it street legal is probably minor compared to your monetary exposure if you remain uninsured.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I doubt you will find any coverage. Maybe check at Pirate4x4 or professional offroaders but they may only cover sancationed racing?
I checked pirate already and didn't find any helpful info. I have seen insurance like you're talking about but can't seem to find where to get it.
Would insurance on your trailer cover cargo?
The way my agent explained it to me it wouldn't. I'm trying to find a copy of my policy to see exactly what it says for that.
I do not think the kind of coverage you want exists.
So all those guys out there with high dollar buggies can afford to loose them if their garages burn down? The weird thing is if I owned a $20,000 RAZR I would be covered everywhere including on trails!
Give some thought to making it street legal and here's why. If no insurance carrier is willing to insure you then your biggest personal exposure is for bodily injuries and property damage to others if you are in an off road type accident and it's your fault. I'm sure the cost related to making it street legal is probably minor compared to your monetary exposure if you remain uninsured.
I have thought of that idea many times and dismissed it but maybe that is the real solution. I have full width one ton axles, 40's and welded difs. I guess if I get gorilla flares, smaller street tires and a locker in the rear I might be able to make that happen.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Register it as an antique. No inspection required,,,

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I thought I read about some pretty strict criteria for getting registered as an antique. I'll have to look into that again. Thanks Stoney!

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Yes there are some fairly specific requirements and they require several photos to be sent in with your application.
So..... Get pics of someone's stock rig and submit them. Since it is a "lifetime" registration you only need to go through this once...

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have thought of that idea many times and dismissed it but maybe that is the real solution. I have full width one ton axles, 40's and welded difs. I guess if I get gorilla flares, smaller street tires and a locker in the rear I might be able to make that happen.

you would not need to get it inspected , just don't run it on the roads, as long as its registered it should be insurable.

don't the larger rangers/ RZR get registered as dune buggy's vs ATV's maybe you can classify it that way?
but those are registered and plated.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
you would not need to get it inspected , just don't run it on the roads, as long as its registered it should be insurable.

X2 I carry liability and comp insurance on project vehicles that are registered and not tagged. Also registering as a "farm vehicle" may be an option. At this point it's more tractor than passenger vehicle.:) State laws vary so check with insurance company.

ransil

Bronco Guru
X2 I carry liability and comp insurance on project vehicles that are registered and not tagged. Also registering as a "farm vehicle" may be an option. At this point it's more tractor than passenger vehicle.:) State laws vary so check with insurance company.

I have never seen "farm vehicle" registration in Pa.

those of you from other states , I have seen the stuff yinz register and plate, Pa is way different.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I have never seen "farm vehicle" registration in Pa.

those of you from other states , I have seen the stuff yinz register and plate, Pa is way different.

Yeah, when I lived in VA I always felt sorry for the PA guys and their restrictive vehicle laws. In both VA and TX I have my trail rig registered as antique and just keep basic liability on it. I know in PA you can't register a trail rig (or any significantly modified vehicle) as antique so that's out!

I think this is the best idea:

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
What makes it not street legal and how does the insurance company or DMV for that matter know if you even took it to an inspection station?

Prior to my current crawler build I had a '94 Dodge Ram that was significantly modified for off-road. I had it registered and insured as a '94 Dodge Ram- period. I even paid extra for personalized plates and more than just liability insurance. I never got it inspected as it never drove on the roads in VA- it wouldn't pass for a number of reasons. My insurance agent lived in my neighborhood and specifically told me that if I wrecked it off road, it wouldn't cover much if anything on the truck, but would cover occupants. He did specifically state that it was covered in my yard (garage) and on a trailer as I had the same fears you did. This was State Farm insurance, but when I opened the policy, I didn't bring up off-roading.

Maybe they just wanted my money... maybe I would have had to fight them if the truck burned down in my house... I have my '70 Bronco Crawler on the policy now and the agent has never seen it. Standard insurance policy, but the vehicle is registered as an antique- no antique insurance needed.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
What makes it not street legal and how does the insurance company or DMV for that matter know if you even took it to an inspection station?

Prior to my current crawler build I had a '94 Dodge Ram that was significantly modified for off-road. I had it registered and insured as a '94 Dodge Ram- period. I even paid extra for personalized plates and more than just liability insurance. I never got it inspected as it never drove on the roads in VA- it wouldn't pass for a number of reasons. My insurance agent lived in my neighborhood and specifically told me that if I wrecked it off road, it wouldn't cover much if anything on the truck, but would cover occupants. He did specifically state that it was covered in my yard (garage) and on a trailer as I had the same fears you did. This was State Farm insurance, but when I opened the policy, I didn't bring up off-roading.

Maybe they just wanted my money... maybe I would have had to fight them if the truck burned down in my house... I have my '70 Bronco Crawler on the policy now and the agent has never seen it. Standard insurance policy, but the vehicle is registered as an antique- no antique insurance needed.

It's not street legal as-is because the tires stick out 8" past the body and I have beadlocks. In order to get insurance it has to be registered. In order to get registered it has to be insured. I can't remember what red-flagged my Bronco when I switched to Allstate recently, because they didn't see it. You have a good point though. If I switch to a different insurance company and just tell them I have a 68 Bronco, why wouldn't they just put it on my insurance?

In researching maybe registering it as an antique it has to be pretty close to original, which mine isn't at all. Also, it has to pass an initial safety inspection, but no annual inspections.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru

don't the larger rangers/ RZR get registered as dune buggy's vs ATV's maybe you can classify it that way?
but those are registered and plated.

I have asked a couple of insurance agents why the RZR's and atvs are covered but I can't get mine covered. It just seems like an offroad only vehicle that isn't an atv is just so odd that it doesn't fit into any category, which scares them away.

jlawyer

You can register as a classic in PA, similar to antique, but it doesn't have to be completely OE. Antique is restricted to an unmodified vehicle.

OP
OP
68rockcrawler

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
You can register as a classic in PA, similar to antique, but it doesn't have to be completely OE. Antique is restricted to an unmodified vehicle.

According to PA DMV a classic car has the same "condition which is substantially in conformity with manfacturer specifications and appearance" rule as antiques have.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Are you friendly with any "Used Car Dealers" ? If so, their garage liability would cover any vehicles plated with a temporary tag. Now, that being said, you could become a used car dealer, different states have different requirements. I have a NC Independent Dealers license, but declined the plates (for some reason the exact same license is required for a totally different (non automobile) business I own) because the State Trooper/ investigator requested I decline them.