• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need manual rebuild kit (including input shaft)

Old Timer

Loc.
Warrenton
The input shaft on my ’66 manual steering box is need of replacement.

Freed the truck from my garage yesterday after sitting in the garage all winter. But while backing out realized the steering wheel just spun. Looks like the drive shaft clamp is tight but just spins around the input shaft.

Looked on line but couldn’t find a rebuild kit and input shaft on any of our sponsor’s sites. Where can I get one / how hard is it to replace?

Toddpole

Contributor
First verify that the box is actually the problem. It could be that the steering shaft is spinning on the input shaft at the box. If the problem is internal I would look for another box. They are plentiful with so many converting to power steering.
Just my .02 worth.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
The bolt should key into a slot in the input shaft if its the right size. Get a bigger bolt next time for extra insurance. I lost my clamp and used a bike seat clamp off a bike I found in the weeds.

I threw away a manual box last summer. Maybe look around on here and somebody will give you one for the cost of shipping. Ill be pulling my manual box hopefully this summer but im sure your in more o a hurry than that.

Also pull the bolt and make sure the shoulder on the bolt isn't keeping the clamp from going all the way tight. Maybe the nut is hitting the shoulder before the clamp is actually tight?

Have you pulled the shaft and checked the splines on the input shaft?

Do you have a bell coupler? Maybe them splines are stripped out?

Just throwing a few things out there in the wind. might not be the box at all.

bobscott

I got one you can have out of a 71. I am headed to Townsend if you are going to be there I can bring it. If not you can have it if you pay shipping. I only drove the truck a few miles before taking it apart but steering felt fine.