• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need more power steering Help.

armyprop

I have just swapped my manual steering from my 1972 Bronco, for the power steering from a 1976 Bronco, I almost have everything done, except I have a 351W, and have purchased the needed adapter, but cannot figure out how or where things are supposed to go. Any help will help, pictures would be great. Thanks to all of you who have helped me before. I will be posting pictures soon.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If you almost have everything done, yet cannot figure out how or where things are supposed to go, what exactly are you having issues with?

351 adapter bolts to the driver side engine head, PS pump bolts to adapter, adjusting bracket bolts to the driver side of the water pump and to the PS pump bracket, box bolts in the stock holes in place of the manual box, belt runs from crank & water pump pulleys to PS pump pulley. Steering shaft stays in same location but is shortened and adapted with the correct u-joints for the PS box.

OP
OP
A

armyprop

Thank you, Great Justino, that really helped, but is there another adapter that I need? I put the adapter where it fits, but nothing else lines up. How many bolts does it take to hold the PS pump in place? I don't mean to bother, this is my first restoration. Any advice helps.

nutter3

Your power steering pump should bolt in with 2 bolts. One long one goes to the adapter in the head, the lower bolt goes to the PS pump bracket slot ( this lower bolt also sets the belt tension)
The PS pump bracket should bolt to the water pump with 2 bolts.