• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need tire help -ASAP

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Got home today to the sound of a leaking tire. Right now my Bronco is my daily drive so I prob need to go get new tires like tomorrow if I can.

I have only had the Bronco for a few weeks, so I haven't had a lot of time to think about this, thinking it was still a little ways off.

I have a 4" lift (as far as I know.) Current tires are 31" on stock rims. This is how it looks.

attachment.php

I was thinking of getting 32s when it was time. I like the look of this guy's Bronco. I think he only has a 3.5" lift on it too. So I think 32s should fit on mine.

attachment.php

Only other thing to mention is, as I backed out today of my tight parking spot (haven't been driving this thing very long) I think something was rubbing on a fender. Could it be that my rear tire was rubbing on my fender which I was turning sharply? That doesn't really make sense, but I can't tell if the leak is from a tear or a crack from the tires being old.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The rubbing was probably the front tires hitting the radius arms you can adjust it not to rub by turning the screws out they are by the front calipers.
With 32 you are only going up half an inch top and bottom but wheel offsets on yours looks wider than the picture. with those wheels your pretty tight already I would stick with 31. Just my opion but any big bump and it looks like your tire will be into the rear fender you have after market rims that are wider and have a different offset than stock

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
The 2nd pic appear to be 9.5" wide tires on stock wheels. Your wheel offset looks to be different.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
So you purchased the Bronco from WRT? Great looking ride - I looked hard at that one myself.

OP
OP
Raven Tooth

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
So my current tires are 31x10.5 R15. I'm thinking of going up to a 32 so it fills the wheel well in the rear out a little more. I still think there will be enough clearance. But like I said, this is the first time I've bought tires for a truck so I'm willing to listen to any warnings first!

This is a good pic of how much clearance I have in the rear with 31s.
attachment.php

Should I pull the trigger on the 32s?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
You would be able to fit 32" and maybe 33" but not with those wheels. Those aftermarkey wheels are offset too much and probably wider than stock. The other picture you posted were stock wheels and that's why they don't rub.

OP
OP
Raven Tooth

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Aw, ok. I wasn't sure my wheels were aftermarket at first. I measured them and I think they are 10" wide. So you say stick with the 31x10.5x15s?

Heus33

Bronco Guru
You would be able to fit 32" and maybe 33" but not with those wheels. Those aftermarkey wheels are offset too much and probably wider than stock. The other picture you posted were stock wheels and that's why they don't rub.

x2 - If you want a more agressive looking tire, I'd recommend going back to a set of stock steelies and some skinny 32s.

I love the look of that rig though - post lots of pics - you'll make me jealous! :)

Ck out this thread for more pics of uncut broncos - you can get some good tire ideas here too. Dont give up on new wheels either - they're not nearly as expensive as tires will be.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178183

RIbronco

Loc.
Costa Mesa, CA
Your current wheels do not appear to have enough back spacing to support running a larger diameter tire.

If all the tires are not too thin, why not just get the leaking one plugged or patched.
Then you can make a better decision on what tire or wheel and tire combination you want to run.

OP
OP
Raven Tooth

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Thanks for all the help, it really was helpful. I decided to get Firestone Destination A/Ts in 31x10.50R15, which is the size it has now. My brother in law works at firestone so i got a great discount. It takes the pressure off for now and puts wheels/ tires at the bottom of my list so I have plenty of time to think about it if I want to do something next time around.

All the wheels were pretty dried out and cracking so I didn't want to just replace one. Now I can feel a bit more confident. I will post pics!

ehumaui

I ll keep an eye out for you...that pict does not look like a Sunnyvale house?

OP
OP
Raven Tooth

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Good question. I like letters out when they're solid, retro looking letters. The firestones just have white outlined letters. So I'm kind of torn. I wonder if I could paint the letters solid...

maxwedge528

i am in somewhat the same situation. just purchased a very nice 74 bronco that had been sitting inside for at least 10 years. the tires are dry and cracked. so i will replace them. my eb is uncut and has stock height but with lots of new...10 years ago...suspension components. has your bronco been raised or is it stock height?

OP
OP
Raven Tooth

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
My Bronco has been raised about 4 inches. Just checked the date on the tires and they are 10 years old. I realized with the 10" wide rims only 31" tires will fit, because they stick out beyond the fender somewhat. If the wheels were narrower (8") larger tires would fit within the fenders in the rear.

OP
OP
Raven Tooth

Raven Tooth

Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
418036_10150549596810988_649500987_9245881_1148027010_n.jpg

Photoshop mock-up of white letters out. What do you think? Letters in or out?

(They should actually probably be a little whiter, but you get the idea)