• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Never used, warped face on RS housing...I'm calling tomorrow to see what's next...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Just thought I"d toss this out there to see if anyone else has had a similar issue...

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Never used, warped face on RS housing...I'm calling tomorrow
Just thought I"d toss this out there to see if anyone else has had a similar issue...

Pics are worth a thousand words...

6" straight edge with feeler gauge #'s written down...

Attachments

• IMG_7812.jpg
    IMG_7812.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_7813.jpg
    IMG_7813.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 189

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
ok I am a dummy what is a RS housing?:?
oops, looks like they should of checked after it was cut

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
RuffStuff Fabrication...

.052" under the straightedge on the drivers side and .024" on the pass side. Most of the rest of the face is flat except one area is .010" out...

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
gotcha, I just went and looked at them. #1 anytime a sealing surface is needed, machine after cut on the burn table.
#2 clean the spatter and slag out of the inside.
just my worthless .02;)
they will probably tell you to use a bunch of silly cone%)

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I hand sanded this...it's smoooooth, no slag, it's a warped face on the housing! I can't post any more pics for some reason...

Attachments

• IMG_7814.jpg
    IMG_7814.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7815.jpg
    IMG_7815.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Couple more pics

Attachments

• IMG_7818.jpg
    IMG_7818.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7821.jpg
    IMG_7821.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7822.jpg
    IMG_7822.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 95

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
sorry I wasn't talking about you, but the manufacture. the gasket will take some of that out, with a little bit of sealant I don't think it will leak, I know it should be flat from the mfgr.
hope others will chime in that has bought them

Attachments

• Inked9 housing_LI.jpg
    Inked9 housing_LI.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 80

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
RS will help you out, great to work with. They'll know what course to take even if it means sending a replacement. Sucks but I'd give them a call.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Steve, how old were the housings you had issues with? I talked with RS and they said this is the "old style" housing and they had "issues" with it...

I'd definitely feel better if your 5 leakers were the old style!

The housing is in transit now. I will post up when I find out more...

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I mentioned that I was calling "tomorrow" and I did call them at 7am Monday. They are working with me...I will keep you posted.

I understand (now I understand) that RS had issues with leaking housings but I haven't heard of any that were warped this bad...

The housing is in transit...

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Got a call back today...they are going waaay beyond what the norm is. The housing will be replaced since they want all the defective housings they made back in the day "off the market". RS mentioned they had quality control issues back then...

They are also sending me replacement 14 bolt spindles that were already welded in place, new upper and lower 4 link brackets... Several hundred right there on top of the housing.

Gotta be the best follow-up and customer service I've ever experienced...

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Get some ARP studs in there and pull her flat! :) Besides, what's it gonna look like after you've dumped the skinny pedal on it 1/2 dozen times? There is a reason the Right Stuff comes in a tube!

Not nearly the same investment, but I've got a DIY4X4 fab'd D60 diff cover more warped than that. So far it's taken one trip to the machine shop to try getting it flat on their exhaust manifold surfacer (ginormous belt sander) and then putting it in the press to try to bend a low edge high. And now to surface it again, only that shop isn't accessible to me any more.
So, I agree with the statement made above, surface it after cutting & welding.