• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Chassis/Body

Winesalot

So I hope this topic does not offend the eb purist.

I am interested in a buying an early bronco. My family had one when I was learning to drive then I had one when I was first out on my own back in the late 80's. Now I'm in my 50's with some money in my pocket and I'd like to have an early bronco again. However, I am not interested in buying a project. My first thought was to pony up the cash and buy a fully restored machine with all or nearly all the features I want. I am a solid mechanic and have all the needed tools but time and desire to go through the restoration process are both limited.

While doing research on the purchase the idea of buying a new rolling chassis and aftermarket body has been discussed. I am interested a daily driver street machine. I do not need massive power or serious off-road capabilities. I am more interested in easy starting, adequate power, an automatic transmission, 4wd for snow days, and low maintenance/reliability.

Does anyone have good recommendations on how to go about this? Good Chassis builders? Good body suppliers? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this idea in general.

Cheers!

Alan

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wild horses has a "Bronco in a box" its all body panels on a pallet. No directions or dimensions, just a crap load of sheet metal parts, YOU must weld, cut, re-shape and swear some but it's worth it if you cant find a decent tub...But first you need to find a frame.

Attachments

• Crate.jpg
    Crate.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 102
  • driver build.jpg
    driver build.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 101
  • body onto frame1.jpg
    body onto frame1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Body painted2 6.14.21.jpg
    Body painted2 6.14.21.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 100
  • Done1.jpg
    Done1.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 109
  • bare frame.jpg
    bare frame.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 86

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
No offense at all. Still a Bronco IMO. Lots of choices out there depending on how much work you want to do on your own. The previously mentioned places are great.

Wild Horses now offers a reproduction frame:

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/19297/newproducts-EB

Another frame option is Throttle Down Kustoms:

https://throttledownkustoms.com/c-1402113-frames-bronco.html

You can also purchase complete tubs if you don't want the hassle of putting one together. A couple are below, but there are more out there.

https://northeastclassicfordparts.com/19-body-tub-and-parts

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/broncobodies

Another option would be to go fiberglass. Bronco Design makes some very nice looking glass tubs:

https://broncodesign.com/products/assembled-tubs/

With all of those options one must consider title and registration. If you can find a frame with a clear title then you are covered.

I don't know how one would title a Bronco built from an aftermarket frame/body. I guess it would depend on your State laws. I believe here in TX they call it "Assembled Vehicles" similar to buying a Kit Car.

OP
OP
W

Winesalot

Thanks for the replies and the thinking material.

In Washington State you can register and title a homemade vehicle (usually done with trailers but applies equally to cars & trucks) if you have it inspected by the state patrol and can show them a bill of sale for all of the materials.

mebco09

Price it out...

The $10-15k for the body, and the $3-5k for the frame is just the tip of the iceberg.

I have an original one that came in boxes, already mostly painted with an original unrestored frame. I didn't spend the $18k-$20k above, and the smalls that I am missing are what is killing the budget. $50 here, $100 there, add in total rip-off shipping, and the total price for what you want to do easily exceeds $50k without labor.

You should check bring-a-trailer for the latest prices. You can overpay for a nice one, and have one to enjoy in a couple weeks and be money ahead.

The only way I would build one from scratch, was if I had the time and ability to knock it out in a year or so. The other thing to think about, is that you live in a semi-remote place. I don't know of a good painter in the valley, mechanics are going to be hit-and-miss. It is definitely a DIY project in Chelan, WA.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Nobody ever realizes all of the small stuff you need to get when you don't start with a builder and it adds up FAST! I always feel it is better to buy one even if it needs some metal work as it is less costly, has original parts and you have a ton of items you don't have to hunt for. When you see rolling bodies selling for 15K and the Facebook crowd calls them crazy, it is usually people that are experienced enough to know they are ahead of the game and that is a better value.

syndicate1

Contributor
For a complete body, also check out Shannon’s Broncos. I believe they’re located in N. Cal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Winesalot

Thanks for all the input. I am a classic researchaholic and this is feeding the beast, lol. We have to build our new house before I move on the the bronco purchase so I have the luxury of time before I decide what my path will be. Cheers!

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would sure call Bill and Kelly, the wizards at Z-tech Customz in Fennville Michigan. https://www.facebook.com/ztechcustomz/ They were at the Hudsonville Fair Swapmeet this past week with this gorgeous Kincer chassis and one of their outstanding builds.

Attachments

• 20210717_094239.jpg
    20210717_094239.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 49

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
go buy a new Bronco, Take the stupid looking new body off and graft on a new, old style Bronco body. drive off in the sunset in style.