• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New design to my HD rear spring shackles - should I keep making both styles or...???

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
As some know, I have been making a few sets of heavy duty rear spring shackles here and there....
Lately I was revisiting rear spring shackle travel and wasn't quite satisfied with the amount of droop my heavy duty rear spring shackles provided compared to the stock shackle. Sure, it's plenty good for most typical use but I wanted to squeeze out every last inch available...so back to the drawing board.

This time I went with a boomerang design with a narrow base and a small relief cutout on the inside upright to clear the factory hanger and achieve full range of motion.
Checking the measurements, I achieved at least the same amount of droop and maybe a touch more, as the factory shackle as well as a 1/2" more length as would be measured from spring eye to spring eye for flat spring compression.
So I'm pleased with this design, and I think it will function well.

But I'm curious if I should keep both styles available or just go with the new and retire the old one. maybe the looks of the old style are more desirable to some who don't need the extreme range of motion? just wondering if it'd be worth it or not. I appreciate the input.

Of course we need pictures too!;D
There's a picture of my old design and then some of the new as well as several shots comparing the angles between the two along with the factory shackle.

Attachments

• old HD shackles.jpg
    old HD shackles.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 149
  • new shackle7.jpg
    new shackle7.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 124
  • new shackle6.jpg
    new shackle6.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 116
  • new shackle5.jpg
    new shackle5.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 122
  • new shackle4.jpg
    new shackle4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 115
  • new shackle3.jpg
    new shackle3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 120
  • new shackle2.jpg
    new shackle2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 116
  • new shackle1.jpg
    new shackle1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 136
  • front old.jpg
    front old.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 191
  • front new.jpg
    front new.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 186
  • front stock.jpg
    front stock.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 182
OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
More pictures...

Attachments

• rear stock.jpg
    rear stock.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 123
  • rear new.jpg
    rear new.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 125
  • rear old.jpg
    rear old.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 124
  • side stock.jpg
    side stock.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 138
  • side new.jpg
    side new.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 140
  • side old.jpg
    side old.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 141
  • droop old.jpg
    droop old.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 126
  • droop new.jpg
    droop new.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 128
  • droop stock.jpg
    droop stock.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 130
  • compression old.jpg
    compression old.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 136
  • compression new.jpg
    compression new.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 135
  • compression stock.jpg
    compression stock.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 136

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Keep both. Choice is good. Nice work Brian!

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
IMO ditch the straight ones...ive had to install a couple HD straight ones...and they suck. they limit the travel. those curved ones look like just the right thing. both times i installed the straight ones-we took them back off and went stock...even after modifying them for more droop. the straight ones are fine for street rigs only.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Keep both. Choice is good. Nice work Brian!

IMO ditch the straight ones...ive had to install a couple HD straight ones...and they suck. they limit the travel. those curved ones look like just the right thing. both times i installed the straight ones-we took them back off and went stock...even after modifying them for more droop. the straight ones are fine for street rigs only.

I say keep them both, you are going to run into as many people with street rigs as multi purpose as these trucks continue to gain in popularity.

Lets get a set powder coated before you put them on your truck!

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I cut my shackle brackets off my frame and rotated them to get more flex. Your shackles are a way better solution to this problem! Very nice job and if I hadn't already done the work, I would in line to buy a set of yours!

dixieboyz13

Loc.
Johns Island
Let me know if you decide to get a set blazinchuck, we can share the ride as I would like to test out a set as well.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I see no reason to keep the old design. The new design works everywhere the old one does and beyond. Keeping the old is just unnecessary overhead.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Nice job Brian..Doesn't hurt to have a few sets of the old ones available if there any cheaper. Gives people an option. I'll trade in mine for a new set that way it will put a few of the old on the shelf;D but really I would purchase a set as long as I get free shipping;D

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Already my Special Edition (SE) #001 Migs Shackles are already obsolete and I haven't even installed them yet! You are like Ford changing body styles every two years! I like the new set vs the old. Quit making the old versions so mine will go up in value! They will become NOS once you start making hundreds of the new versions!

Hopstr

Contributor
i don't think it would be cost effective to make both. Now that you have debuted the new style I doubt many will want the old ones.

I'll take a set.

OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the input. kind of figured the old style wouldn't be as desirable.
guess I'd better ramp up production on the new style....
I will be signing up as a vendor, and I have some other products developed during my build to bring to the market as well.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Drop the old one, keep the new one. I have some experience in this.

Nice work by the way.