• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Guy - Tons of questions

U

Unregistered

Hey fellas,

I just picked up a '72 Bronco, been wanting an EB for a long time now and this one just fell in my lap. Stock lift, uncut, little bit o'rust. Now comes the fun, It will be my somewhat daily driver and I need to fix it up a bit - I have a ton of questions. I have searched the archives a bit but there are often different answers to the same question or I couldn't find the answer so I thought I would post them here. I appreciate the advise.

1. Its needs a radiator and water pump - where is a good place to get them? Any brand better than others?

2. The age old question - what size tires can I get on a stock lift with stock tires? It has 30/9.5/15 on it now and they need to be changed. Don't want to throw a lift on it yet - already have a jeep with a 4inch lift and 33s

3. As the weather here is actually getting nice, I would like to add a soft top (and I guess a corresponding tuffy box to keep my radio). Who makes a good softtop that doesn't require drilling? Anyone have a good price on a tuffy box.

Thanks again. As I said, I have been looking for one for ages and have seen every rusted out pos on the east coast. Can't believe I manage to find one in brooklyn.

Chris M.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Chris,

Contact Ron Davis Racing! You might find cheaper radiators, but his Aluminum radiators are the best out there for anything! EB's often run hot, so get rid of that heat and save on weight too!

Also, if you intend to make her a DD, get Disc Brakes for your front end, in the least! You will need them in the city environment. If not, you will spend every waking moment re-adjusting the drums!

If you get into rust fixing, I will also willingly answer anything! Search on my call name (MnkyBiz) and look at some of my posts. I am building a DD, and live in the DC area!

MnkyBiz

NYCBronco

(That was me above, forgot to log in)

Great, thanks. Power steering and brakes will come, maybe mid summer. That brings up 2 other questions.

1. The red brake light on the dash is on - in the owners manual (little gift from the prior owner) it says this is cause by unequal pressure in the system. How do I fix this?

2. speaking of lights. when I put the blinkers on either side - both rear blinkers light up. Has to be short somewhere -any usual suspects.

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
If I remember right to get the light out; step on and hold the brake pedal then turn the key to on. That should center the piston that trips the light.

As far as blinkers; check both bulbs, also make sure the PO didn't do a wacky splice job for trailer wiring back near the taillights. If all that is good, check the wiring going into the column to the turn signal switch. Good luck.

73 bronc

BANNED
Congrats on your find. I was having the same kind of problems with my blinkers, and the guys on here were really helpful. It ended up being the wrong bulbs. There are a bunch of smart guys on here, they are all really cool,and can probably help you with any problem you may have. good luck

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
1. Get a stock replacement water pump - a good one, not from autozone or pep girls. Napa is beter. Any of the bronco houses have decent radiators (See links) or you could go Griffin for a cheap Al from Summit or Jegs

2. tires, don't know... 31x 10.50s???

3. I have an older Kayline (now Specialty top) the only drilling needed was on the tailgate for the snaps. The new Bestop Might not need it but check them out

Good luck

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The brake pressure differential switch on the Broncos is not self resetting as on most other vehicles. There is a write up on resetting it at www.the Broncohio.com site with pics.
The switch is designed to warn you of a fluid leak but it usually comes on while you're bleeding the brakes, which is a controled leak.

Water pump? just make sure you get a new one, not re-man. Schucks carries new Autolite pumps.

Tires? Is your Bronco cut? Anything wider than 9.5" will rub if you're uncut. I had 31x10.5s rubbing with a 3" lift. A little creative hammering helped alot.

Specialty Top and Bestop are the only options for a soft top. I believe they both require some drilling.