• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New leaf spring questions

viking71

Loc.
Harwood
I'm starting my rebuild. Suspension parts from Duff. U-bolts didn't come with washers (are washers needed?). I am known to over tighten bolts. Does anyone know of a torque chart for the suspension bolts (front and rear)? I would add pics but I can't figure out how.

aisawalsh

I just bought the 2.5" lift system from Wild Horse and their U-bolts come with washers.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Yes you should have washers. Off of the top of my head the rear u-bolt spec is about 125 ft./lbs. The front spring retainers aren't much. Maybe 50 ft./lbs.

Edit: The shop manual shows the axle ubolt spec is 45-60 which seems a little light to me.
The rear spring to hangers is 75-105.
It doesn't list a spec for the shackle.

OP
OP
V

viking71

Loc.
Harwood
Thanks guys. I think the U-bolts are 1/2". I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I have the 3.5" lift if that matters. The bolts are about 1.5" long. Should I cut them down?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You do not "have" to cut them down.
Regarding U-bolt torque. Snug them down good and tight....not too tight but tight. The most important thing about u-bolts is that they stretch a bit so retorque them often for awhile until they settle in to their final position.

OP
OP
V

viking71

Loc.
Harwood
bronconut73 do you also agree that I should have washers? I'm thinking it's prob best and going to run and get some. I wish they (Duff) supplied a complete pack. This kit wasn't cheap. All great stuff and happy with them but little things like that can be big. Just saying

big blue

Loc.
Kentucky
Thanks guys. I think the U-bolts are 1/2". I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I have the 3.5" lift if that matters. The bolts are about 1.5" long. Should I cut them down?

Some aftermarket U-bolts are 9/16 and will not fit through a stock spring plate and yes you should use washers.