• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Member; Push button ignition help!

Luke_C

Hey all,

I've owned a '70 Bronco since 1996. It was a daily driver for nearly 6 years. I'm almost done with an extensive rebuild and need some help for a push button ignition system.

Here's what I'm trying to do....

I'm trying to do an ignition system with an 'on-off' key switch that will simply complete the circuit to a push button starter. I'd like to have the 'accessory' position of the typical ignition switch controlled by a regular toggle switch. The key'd switch will simply allow the push button switch to juice the starter.

My perfect idea is to get in, put the key in and turn it to complete the circuit. Then flip the accessory switch to complete all necessory circuits. then hit the button and fire it up.

Has anyone done anything like this? I've got a key'd switch and a push button limit switch I've been tinkering with and I've really been pulling my hair out to get it to work. I'd buy you a cold beer and a hot cup of coffee if you've got a wiring diagram for this set up.

Thanks, and I've really been enjoying lurking here. Finally joined!

Luke

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Very simple to do. I have my truck set up with a toggle and push button starter switch. No key but all you need to do with the key is place it between the toggle and push button.

Or run a fused source for your accessories and run them through a toggle or toggle activated relay if drawing more than 15 amps. Run a seperate fused source for the ignition, you want the ignition seperate from the accessories anyways. Plus you will be able to run the radio and keep the ignition off so you don't damage ignition parts. Just be sure everything is fused properly and the wire size is correct.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Luke_C

Thanks for the help.

I guess the toughest part for me is how to wire up the ignition solenoid and coil with the starter system.

Does anyone have a very simple wiring diagram??? I'm pretty good at turning wrenches but the electrical is my weak link. :p I'm in specific need of an ignition and charging diagram.

I'm running a 3 speed, with will get upgraded to a 5 speed later on. I've also got a electronic ignition module to hook up to the distributor.

Luke

bludorbronc

On my Bronco I use the standard key for regular driving,when I am stuck on a steep incline and it dies I am usually sunk back into my seat that reaching the key is hard to do ,so I welded a panel onto my cage dash bar and mounted an inside winch control and a push botton start switch that I can reach easily when out of position.