• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New or used sheet metal?

DC_Gearhead

So I am at a point where I am about to buy a bunch of sheet metal for the Bronco. I have been going down the path of getting all new stuff, but started thinking it may be an option to get used panels like a grill, hood, fenders, etc. The inner fenders, supports, and floor pans will obviously need to be new, but used bolt on panels may be an option.

Anybody have input on this? Is the used stuff cheaper? Better?

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Cost aside, and labor aside, (old panels may require more finish work, new panels may require more fitting), what's better? I heard 'old steel' is more pure, but many of the vendors claim new panels are made thicker. Anyone have any thoughts? Like, are new fenders better than old, but old hoods better then new?

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Hind sight being what it is, I should have just put the elbow grease into fixing my old fenders instead of buying new ones. They don't fit nearly as well and seem flimsy compared to the OEM. From now on I vow to save whatever I can within my skill set.

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
Cost aside, and labor aside, (old panels may require more finish work, new panels may require more fitting), what's better? I heard 'old steel' is more pure, but many of the vendors claim new panels are made thicker. Anyone have any thoughts? Like, are new fenders better than old, but old hoods better then new?
I can only speak to this regarding the rear lower fenders. The old ones were considerably thicker than the repops that I installed in their place. I would only GUESS that is the case in most respects. I do think however that the time savings in using the new metal is worthwhile. It's generally pretty close to ready to at least prime assuming it doesn't need a bunch of tweaking.

pipermike

I've been happy with all the new pannels that I've recently purchased. Nice to start fresh and rust free.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Our's has had the driver side fender and rocker panel replaced after one of the boys had a fender bender.
Looks good but when cutting for front flares, you could really tell the difference. The replacement is really thin and flimsey in comparison. I wish I had asked for used parts.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Hind sight being what it is, I should have just put the elbow grease into fixing my old fenders instead of buying new ones. They don't fit nearly as well and seem flimsy compared to the OEM. From now on I vow to save whatever I can within my skill set.

That's what I'm thinking as well. I figured some of the more complex shaped panels are probably better to get used. But on the other hand I figure the easy ones are made by any crappy factory in China and probably thin steel. Bottom line is my brain wants to justify buying used stuff because it is original and Ford. The new stuff I want the best fitting stuff and thick panels, but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot with overthinking it!!!

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

I've been happy with all the new pannels that I've recently purchased. Nice to start fresh and rust free.

Which panels did you replace? What brand did you get? According to some threads on here, some are really good.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

rmk57

The new fenders I've seen advertised are 18 gauge and 30% heavier than originals. The original on mine has the section that's gets bolted to the apron rusted. It would be nice if they sold only that section or say the bottom 8 inches of the fender tip so you could salvage you originals.

dougsride

if you do the rockers do not get the cheap ones. get the ones stamped using original tooling. I tried both. original tooling fit perfect. lost my religion and money on the cheap ones. other horror stories include the not so square rear quarter that was 1/8 inch off square. vendor told me my bronco was 40 years old as if I did not know that. problem was the tail light panel and upper quarter were perfectly square. go figure. use as much original as possible in you whole build. people back in those days worked a job out of pride.

klawrence

Loc.
SE PA
Nick (deconick) Is great. He has a lot of great OEM panels in stock along with new sheet metal. I used a lot of OEM on my 69 , and purchased all new for my 73 project, all from him (just wanted to do an all new body). He will take the time and discuss with you and recommend what is best for your project. I feel lucky that I am ~40 minutes away.

A great resource.

Now my input on panel choices.

Good condition OEM is always best ...fitting these aftermarket panels can be demanding sometimes. I just updated my build thread on the chat forum...bronco heading to body shop tmrw!

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

It's decision time now. I'm just cleaning up and prepping now. I'm going to take a drive to see Nick this week probably and do some "hands on" with the steer metal. After digging in a little over the last couple of days my SM list got bigger....
d2c249f22038881827598444b8f8493e.jpg

f8a415b7790e1dda56c030739ca4d3a8.jpg

pipermike

Which panels did you replace? What brand did you get? According to some threads on here, some are really good.

My front fenders & rear 1/4's came from Dennis Carpenter, door skins & rockers from WH, good prices on shipping from DC.