• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Product - B.C. Broncos new radius arm

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The new arms includes the cap and head cast of chromolly, all 3/4" and 1" grade 8 hardware, 1/4" side plates with shock mounts, 5/16 wall 2" square tube, 1" heims and the radius arm bushing replacement nuts. The head has 15 degrees of adjustable caster.

Attachments

• smclean3045.jpg
    smclean3045.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 666
  • sm3049.jpg
    sm3049.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 312
  • sm3051.jpg
    sm3051.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

yak67

Bronco Guru
Looks cool Chuck! What's the price range gonna be on those bad boys?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
These will be stock length. Although they will be available in longer lengths or it can be added via new tubing later on (another post)...its like modular--totally. [In my best 80s Valley Girl vice] Totally.

My Q:
I understand that there is a heim where the arm mounts to the radius arm bracket at the frame...but I am unclear on if there is a bushing at all there where the two large nuts sandwhich the arm mount at the frame. It just seems like at least some poly bushing/washer should exist to actas a dampener between the axle and frame. Or is this accomplished with the c-bushings? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

It is a nice-looking piece Chuck. Is the design meant to function as a wristed arm on one side or is the wristing not necessary due to the heimed arm ends? Can someone help explain the benefits above and beyond the heim ends? I understand the ability to rebuild it/replace components, totally.

I can see how the adjustment for caster is made via the bolt on the lower C-cap. Its essentially acting as a stop to achieve the proper castor angle, correct? When the axle is articulating and there is not the downward force of the weight of the vehicle on the axle, does this allow the arm to wrist slightly for better articulation? I am just trying to understand where all the gains in the design are before I decide its something I need. Thanks. Sorry if I am missing something.

John

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The C bushing should dampen the axle to frame vibrations. The radius arm bushings were mostly for articulation but ae not needed now with the big heim.
It was not ment to be a wristed arm.
The adjustable caster is the main thing the heim removes the bind in the mounting end and the option to go long arm or short is nice and the new chromolly head and cap is good but the caster was the main idea. I am posting another picture to the first post to better explain how the caster adjustment works.

A&Mbronco

Loc.
Houston,TX
Looks awesome!!! I like the idea of it being totally modular.

One question though: how will the bottom bolt on the C's be able to keep the castor in line? Wouldnt it tend to move around in the slotted hole?

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
A 3/4" bolt goes through the slotted bottom hole. The bolt you see in the picture pushes against the 3/4" bolt to hold the caster adjustment. The 2 3/4" bolts pinch the side plates to the head to also keep the head from moving.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
"One question though: how will the bottom bolt on the C's be able to keep the castor in line? Wouldnt it tend to move around in the slotted hole?"

My thoughts Too?
If the adjustment bolt is turned in to take up the space in the slot then there is no play, However if your adjustment requires the bolt to be backed off, does this create movement in the slot? Should there be a another adjustment from the front to limit this movement?

It looks great.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
These look pretty cool. I would be interested to see some ramp pictures before and after someone installs these WITHOUT the WAH. How much additional flex is gained? I really like the modular construction.

Next question for you Chuck is when are you moving to Texas so I don't have to pay for shipping on a pair??

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
bax said:
"One question though: how will the bottom bolt on the C's be able to keep the castor in line? Wouldnt it tend to move around in the slotted hole?"

My thoughts Too?
If the adjustment bolt is turned in to take up the space in the slot then there is no play, However if your adjustment requires the bolt to be backed off, does this create movement in the slot? Should there be a another adjustment from the front to limit this movement?

It looks great.
The normal pressure will tend to push the front of the arm up. The adjustment bolt will provide a stop for that movement. The only time there will be pressure in the downward direction is when the wheels are in the air. For better understanding think of the bottom 3/4" bolt stationary and the head pivoting from the top 3/4" bolt. As the head is pushed up the adjustment bolt will contect the bottom 3/4" bolt (stationary) and stop the head from moving forward/up. I hope that helps. The clamping force will hold the head from falling down.

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
broncotime said:
These look pretty cool. I would be interested to see some ramp pictures before and after someone installs these WITHOUT the WAH. How much additional flex is gained? I really like the modular construction.

Next question for you Chuck is when are you moving to Texas so I don't have to pay for shipping on a pair??
My place is up for sale now. We will not know about when until we find out how long the army is planning to keep Jason. We are short handed right now but after the Baja 1000 I should have time to put the arms on my crawler and find out how much diff they make with the WAH

Last edited:

behemoth

Bronco Guru
The arms look great. I have extended arms on one truck with the heims on the ends, I do not notice any more vibs than before.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Cool product (as expected)!!

Would be nice if the side plates had little 'tabs' that extended to protect the adjusting bold from rocks... but thats not enough to keep me from wanting a set!

What is the cost of these bad boys?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
67EB_in_619 said:

Would be nice if the side plates had little 'tabs' that extended to protect the adjusting bold from rocks... but thats not enough to keep me from wanting a set!

Last I heard I believe they were around $600

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
$600.. dang.

Can someone help explain why I would want these over caster corrected (fixed) long arms? I know the modular thing is cool, and the adjustable too.. but I wouldnt expect to have to adjust them a bunch, and given the solid construction, I cant imagine needing to replace parts.

Help me justify this as a purchase I "need" :)

-Thanks!

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
67EB_in_619 said:

When the adj. bolt is all the way in the side plates protect it. The bolt can be shortened after your caster is set and the side plate bolts are tight.
The price for everything including the cap is $600 per pair

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
67EB_in_619 said:
$600.. dang.

Can someone help explain why I would want these over caster corrected (fixed) long arms? I know the modular thing is cool, and the adjustable too.. but I wouldnt expect to have to adjust them a bunch, and given the solid construction, I cant imagine needing to replace parts.

Help me justify this as a purchase I "need" :)

-Thanks!
If the fixed caster that is in your arms is the right caster for your rig or if you can correct it with the 2, 4, 6.25 or 7 degree bushings you don't NEED my arms to correct the caster. Once your caster is set you should not need to correct it unless you change lifts.
If you want to run stock length arms and a lift over 3.5" and want to have your caster within specs you NEED my arms or if you just want to install the arms and take the EB to the alianment shop and have them set it or if you want to fix the bronco lean and don't want to mess with the cap bolts you NEED my arms. ATC :)

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
chuck said:
or if you want to fix the bronco lean and don't want to mess with the cap bolts you NEED my arms. ATC :)

That alone has me sold. My $600 is waiting.