• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New to me 1969 bronco caught on fire under hood

Mtgrizzlymn

Had it 1 week! Insurance wants to fix if possible burned hood and fender and of course All of engine outer parts. Is there anything to look for or tell the mechanic checking it out? Wiring harness is gone to. I just don't want anything missed.

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Bummer. How was the fire put out??? Fire ext tend to be very corrosive to metal and wiring. Have you tried to clean it off? There are many threads on here on what to do and watch out for. Fires seem to be common. I don't recall all the details. What started the fire? How much damage? Glad you had it insured.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

I was adjusting float ithe holly carb! Got it out with a lot of water and a lot of shirts towls tarps anything I could throw on it

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Water is not what you should use to put out a gas/electrical fire but it saved you a lot of grief down the road. Sounds like by covering it with assorted flamable materials you where able to cut off the oxygen to the fire. AS you know fire needs oxygen, fuel to burn take one away and they should go out. Fire blankets where made from wool. An old wool blanket would be safer than asst towels and shirts. You where lucky. Most carry fire ext in there EB and keep one or 2 in the shop and Bronco. I have them everywhere.

Hope you get it back on the road soon.

R.P. Coltrane

Loc.
Iowa, the flat part
Let me guess, loosened/turned the float adjuster with it running and shot gas out like a sprinkler head? Been there, done that.

That kind of fire, all the damage is going to be pretty obvious once the soot is cleared away. Low temperature stuff is going to be burned. Paint, gaskets, wire insulation, tie rod boots, etc. The metal parts should be just fine other than needing refinished. If the hood took a warp from heat, it's shot.

Sorry you're off to a rough start, but at least nobody got hurt. Good Luck!

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I have had a couple of vehicle fires in my lifetime. They always start with gas on hot surfaces. The one fire started with a plug wire popping off the distributor,,,then backfired through the K&N filter. A fire can be a real mess....

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
If your wiring harness is gone make sure your mechanic is very good and neat at electrical. There are a lot of wiring kits available to make it easier. Hopefully the carb is OK.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
That sucks. Just lucky you had insurance. Didn't insure mine til it was street legal. Probably saved yourself lots of headaches not using normal extinguisher. Good luck with the rebuild.

OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

Thanks guys for the support! I'll post picts when it's done again. And yep i loosened the top ud muster on Holley with it runnining and my god fuel shot everywhere ruined hood and burned all upper stuff even my msd ignition.