• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Welder

Jaybr

Contributor
I got my first welder a few years ago right after getting my Broncos and knew I’d have to learn to weld. Started with a Lincoln Easy MiG 180 and it’s plenty strong for what I do but very basic features. With the A,B,C,D voltage settings, I rarely get it dialed in just right and tend to go too hot rather than not enough. Seems every time I try and do something thin I burn holes.

I know I’m the problem more than the welder, but a nicer machine can’t hurt right?

Been eying the Lincoln 215i and went by the welding supply shop for some .025 wire today and they had one in stock. Lincoln has a $400 rebate on it right now so I grabbed it. Should get some sheet metal work in this week where I’ll try out the “tack” mode.

Compared to the old one, this thing is loaded with features that will hopefully make me a better welder.

9a9bd1d9724e5a3edbe63da8a0354ee1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Congratulations! They are fantastic machines that that can help a struggling welder become proficient, if you can leave it alone and let it do its part, and adjust your mechanics it will be a huge help. The biggest challenge I’ve seen is guys going too slow or too fast and contact tip to work distance too far away. The other is pulling the weld puddle instead of pushing it. Also no need for weave patterns as long as there is no gap, place the tip of the wire in the groove of the weld and push it along nice and smoothly.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Good purchase you made. Lincoln makes some quality machines. My start was a HF flux core wire welder. I could stick metal together but it looked like crap 💩 so I bit the bullet and bought a Miller Multi Process MIG welder. Just avoid my rookie mistake and make sure you don’t run out of gas. Very difficult to make pretty welds. Lol. They make a spray that you spray on what you’re welding and it keeps spatter from sticking.

Randy

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Those $80. 120v 200A on Amazon is a great expendable unit..
I bought one just because it was $80. delivered. And 120V for mobile jobs. I gave it away to my brother as he been looking for one.
I have a dedicated Miller 220v MIG unit and a Dynasty TIG machine.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
One of the challenges I was having early on is being able to see what I was welding and seemed like my cheap HF auto dimming helmet was slow and I was getting flashed. Fixed that last year with a nice Optrel helmet, then had Cataract surgery a couple months ago and again struggling to see what I'm doing. I'm sure I can straighten that issue out with some helmet adjustments and maybe some extra light.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I use a cheater lense to combat not seeing. I’ve found stepping up a 1/2-1 power more than I wear to read works well. Sometimes when I’m tig welding it is double if doing really small detailed work. I have found as I age I have to slow down and change my magnification to suit the immediate task.

I wear 1.5 readers to read. I have a 2.0 lens in my hood. If I’m tig welding I wear my readers too. If I’m welding at arms reach on a vehicle that I can’t get close to the lens in the hood comes out and either use nothing or my readers. Have to play with what works

A good hood is priceless. I prefer esab sentinel but there are a lot of very nice units for less than $300.

BradGP

Those $80. 120v 200A on Amazon is a great expendable unit..
I bought one just because it was $80. delivered. And 120V for mobile jobs. I gave it away to my brother as he been looking for one.
I have a dedicated Miller 220v MIG unit and a Dynasty TIG machine.
My uncle might like that portable 120V welder. He recently retired and will have some minor welding jobs for his new venture. We must mounted the new headache rack, trifold tonneau covers, and winch on his truck. We'll check Amazon later.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
1- Everything about that welder will help.

2- Every tip Steve mentioned will help you a bunch

3- .025" wire will help you a ton on the thin stuff

Have fun, you'll love it

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
For probably the last 10 years I've wanted to learn to weld, mainly because I know it would be useful in restoring my Bronco and other projects, and possibly save me some money (or make me some) along the way. Problem is, I don't know any "good" welders to learn from and my wife used most of my GI Bill. Any suggestions? I generally learn better from "doing" rather than watching. Tell me how, show me once or twice, then stand behind me and watch and tell me if I'm about to F up...

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I learned to weld using a Lincoln “cracker box” stick welder and then took an adult night course at the VoTech. Loved stick welding until the pacemaker was put in and I was banned from using anything other then a wire welder.
My friend who went through the process of EB restoration let me know that a MIG welder was gonna be necessary when welding sheet metals.

My take, FWIW: go ahead and get a MIG welder and read the material that comes with it and just start using it. The newer multiprocess units will let you set the thickness of material and wire gauge and will automatically set the wire speed and amperage. They also allow you to + or - settings…at least the Miller I have will.

MIG has been the easiest to learn welding,for me, anyway.

Randy

Mikes Early Bronco

Contributor
Oily Driveway Guy
I traveled the same route. Your gonna like that machine. Then upgrade your helmet if you haven’t already. Take a class and sky’s the limit. Good luck.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My trusty 25-yo ESAB 250 keeps on running like the Energizer bunny. I have a Hobart 120 Handler for the light work, especially sheet metal/body work. But with the new shop addition being added to include a bay just for body work, I finally have the excuse I "need" to buy a new MIG machine. I really want to purchase a Fronius. I've been jonesing for one for years now. 'spensive though...might end up with a Lincoln.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
@bmc69 I've been a Lincoln fan for decades, always felt the arc was smoother and more consistent, along with the feeder being more robust, simple. I still believe they are a fantastic machine, as of late I've been getting converted. The latest line of Miller inverter machines is exceptional, their 255 multiprocess machine it unbelievable and does pulse on single phase, something no one else has accomplished. If your base metal is clean, you'll never want to go back once you use pulse. It also doubles as a TIG very nicely too. Now if I was looking at a 350amp size machine a Daihen OTC M350L would be my go to without even opening a catalog, can't explain it, just something you have to experience, I've welded with Lincoln, Miller, Fronius, Esab and several others, something about it is special, and you are a better welder with it.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
So far, I have not heard a compelling case for a new welder. I was a victim of welder envy, and upgraded my machine many times. I started with a Millermatic 185, then the 200, then the 250 then the 251. In each case, there were more features, and more electronics. But when you fire up your MIG machine, and the digital display is stone blank, and you take it to Miller and they tell you it will be a month before they can fix it...you start to re-prioritize.

So I upgraded(?) back DOWN to the Millermatic 200 with the manual transformer and the giant hook for hoisting. Sure, it's 90's technology...but it's stable, and capable, and it just works.

But far more important is the conclusion reached by @bmc69 , and I ended up in the same place. There simply is no physical welder that exists today that can be good at both .023 and .035 wire. It just can't happen. By the time you have a short and light enough cable torch for .023, it's way too short for .035. For many years, I would change the feed rolls, and torch tip whenever I needed to weld something light. It was futile. Then I would cheat, and try to weld 18ga sheet metal with .035 wire at minimum amperage, and blow holes in things. Or I would weld 1/4 inch plate with .023 wire and vaporize the wire to the tip and just wreak havoc. Eventually, I bought a dedicated .023 machine, and now I have two on the same cart. I'll never go back. And I will never own a welder with a digital display unless it is disposable.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
X2 on get "cheater" magnification lens for your helmet. Most brands sell a complete lens that snaps right in place. https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc....wxpSRolXqLJ2lFhjPhuZayqU5n1v386AaApqbEALw_wcB

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc....BYLn01OhfMMAfYYHG8lTOSp-_ywCVWNUaAkf-EALw_wcB

Get some junk pieces of auto body sheet metal. Hit up about any local auto body shop for some pieces from their scrap pile out back. A crunched up hood or trunk piece and or a fender is great to practice on. Get a good 4" /4.5" grinder and a flap wheel to get the paint off. Try to get the same gauge as you will be working on normally.

Some times a couple of U Tube vids is all it takes, some times the welding machine manufacture has instructional videos on their site. Make sure you understand the machines abilities and capabilities, then let it do its thing. And then you practice practice practice.

Blowing holes....either machine settings to hot, you are moving the lead to slow, wire feed set to slow.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
So I finally got a chance to play with the new welder today and having some challenges.

Practicing on 16 gauge cold rolled mild steel sheet on welding table. With welder auto set I’m not getting good penetration. The welds are sitting on top of the metal, just a ball of metal. Heat seems to be enough as I can see the discoloration on the back side.

I turned up the voltage a little at a time until I got to the top of the “green” range and still have the issue. Did the same with the wire feed, still not sure enough penetration.

Also using spot mode on the welder, started at .7 second and worked up to 2 seconds, the ball just gets bigger.

Suggestions?

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Using .023 wire with 75/25 gas, polarity is correct. I’ll try and take some pics tomorrow of if I get back from the car show early enough

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Using .023 wire with 75/25 gas, polarity is correct. I’ll try and take some pics tomorrow of if I get back from the car show early enough

Try to take a pic with a tape measure pulled out in it for reference please. Make it easier ti help