• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbee looking at purchasing - WIW?

erik70-72

Loc.
Novi, MI
I am considering buying a '73 (thought I wanted a 70-72, expanded search, didn't change username). Anyway, I am wondering what is a fair price? I am looking this weekend so any quick opinions would help. Here's what I know:
- 302 V-8 4.9l 2bbl
- Electronic ignition
- Dana 44 in front and 9" in rear
- New Goodyear Wrangler Tires
- New Shocks
- New Fuel Pump & Fuel Filter
- Rebuilt – Original Brake System
- New Battery
- Newly Covered Seats (front only, no rear seat)
- New Belts
- 33,000 Original miles
- 2 owner
- Original drivetrain
- Fenders have never been cut
- 3 speed Column Shift
- Body is straight. Never Wrecked very little rust
- Some Rust in the Drivers Floor Pan
- Runs good.
- The Transmission is in great shape. The engine is tuned up. There are no leaks in the engine or drive train.
- Needs: paint, floor pan fixed, side mirror, rear seat and belts, dash pad, roof brace (two are bent), one rear light assembly, fuel tanks sending units repaired (yes both).
- Want to add: AC, disc brake conversion

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
If it really is 33,000 original miles and the floor pans are the only rusty spots around here (west Tn.) you are looking at 6k to 10k. It's really hard to give a good guess without seeing pics. If the paint is better than you are letting on it could go up a bit higher. Check the rockers and door posts really good for rust. But all in all floor pans are a pretty easy fix. (I can say that because mine are still unfixed)

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
In many ways, the truck is in pretty good shape. Ultimately, it is what it is...a 37 year old truck. There are a few areasthat werent well captured from the pics...the rockers, the door posts (areas where the door is hung and latches (so, front and back of), especially the bottom 6-10 inches are a notorious rot-spot), the cowl and the passenger side inner fender (near air cleaner). I can tell from the photos that not only the floor will need to be addressed on the Dr side, but also the kick-panel (at least a large patch) and most likely the lower part of the door post and posibly the inner rocker--at least where it adjoins the kick panel. Likely the same may also be the case for the pass side. Look along the seam in the rear quarter.

Dont get me wrong, it looks like an EXCELLENT candidate for a stocker-resto. Not knowing what part of the country you are in...I would say the truck is probalby worth between $4-5.5K. If the areas that I mentioned above check out and are solid, then at the higher end. If they need work then at the low end...or slightly less.

The problem is...such an original truck is a blessing and a curse. The blessing is nothing has been 'bastardized' and the curse is that ALOT of time, work and money will go into making it 100% again. Of course, its all what you want it for and what your plans are for it. IMHO, if you are looking for a truck to restore and have a decent budget to put it it...Congrats, you found a great starting point. IF you are looking for a driver/cruiser, then you should be honest with yourself...its going to need alot of TLC...and you may be bette off spending more up front and buying something a bit more driver-ready.

Have fun with it if you do get it. You WILL have a good time with it no matter which direction you are coming from.

2kuwl

Loc.
Wisconsin
I would say $6500-$6900. I watch EBAY regularly, and it would probably go for that or a little more. I've sen ones similar go for closer to $8000 even. If you want a stocker to restore that looks like it would be a good start.

ransil

Bronco Guru
looks to be in good shape take it for a hiway ride when it death wobbles talk him down about $1-2k. first thing I would do is put a bushing kit in the front end.

OP
OP
E

erik70-72

Loc.
Novi, MI
Here's an update after I looked at it this morning.
- Drives smooth
- Passenger floor needs replacing, drivers side still does, but doesn't seem to have rust over into the door post
- Drivers wipe arm spring is toast so needs replacing
- Fuel sending unit may be more trouble than he initially indicated
- Armrests are warped
- Antennae is missing and wires are cut
- Wiper spray tubes are cut so not sure if wiper motor works
- Hood has hail damage
- A few small dents here and there on a couple panels
- Carb needs tuning and heater therm (?) in engine not working 100%
- No rust found in other body panels, from what I could quickly tell
- Steering wheel is cracked
- He does have a rear seat frame and cushions, they need replacing

Any new thoughts on price?

OP
OP
E

erik70-72

Loc.
Novi, MI
BTW, thanks to everyone who is posting helping a new guy.

The story behind my username, is that my grandpa had a 70-72 (noone can remember) so that's what I was looking for. I decided that was too narrow a search so I expanded, but already had the username. I guess I couldv'e just started over with a different name, but what the heck.

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
Price depends on location and the time of the year. If you wait for after Christmas prices will definitely be a lot lower. Seller will be more inclined to lower their prices. A truck in that condition will run about $6-7K. When you add in what it will cost you to restore it, that will put you in the 20k range. Best thing to do is buy the best one you can find for around 10k-17k. There have been some really nice example for $9-$17k completely restored! You have got to be willing to go outside your state to pick up a good deal! This is the key.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
If you click on the vanilla gorilla link in my signature the first post in that thread has pics of my rig when I got it. I paid $6k and should have paid about thousand less. I got it in Monroe, LA. As you will see in the pics it's in pretty darn good shape for a stocker but the inner fenders have some rust which I didn't see until after I bought it. It also has some rigged electrical work and nothing mechanical had ever been done to it. If I had done my homework I probably could have talked him down but unfortunately I didn't find this site until after I bought it.

As already mentioned if you're looking for a turn key rig I wouldn't buy one like the one I got. Was it driveable, yes, but not something you'd wanna take on a trip further than 20-30 miles. My plans have changed a hundred times and I'm
now intent on building a mostly trail rig which if I had known when I bought it would have saved me probably $4k. Live and learn I guess. Good luck!