• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

newbi oil ?

horseman

This is my first bronco Its a uncut and original 1977. I want do a drivetrain oil change but i'm not sure which oil to use? The rear diff is a 9 inch and the front is a dana 44 are they limited slip or traction lok ? and which type of modifier should i use.Also what oil should I use in the transfer case?
Thanks for your replies

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
80W-90 GL5 with Hypoid oil. Most brands like Sta-Lube and Valvoline come with the hypoid oil premixed. If you see a lot of miles in warmer climates I would recommend going to a 75W-140 synthetic in the rear.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I use Castrol Syntec 75-90 synthetic in all the areas you mentioned.
The axles are both limited slip (TracLoc's) and Syntec says you do not need the modifier. Being a pessimist from the start, I put it in anyways. cheap insurance.

Works great in the TC too. I am sure the guys will have their own ideas on what to use but I am glad (and so is the Bronco) you are staying on top of the maintenance issue. Keep it up and have fun

TOFIC