• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

newbie alert

twisted_mr

Loc.
Calion, AR
Hi everyone. This looks like a great forum here.

My name is Terry, I'm 48 and live in south Arkansas. (Hope ya'll allow southern mud slingers as I am no rock crawler) I thought I was out of the Bronco business six or 8 years ago when I sold my 83. However, my dearly beloved brother passed away last July (he drank faster than his liver could process George Dickel) and I inherited/bought his 77 Bronco. (Pictures at this link: http://imageevent.com/twisted_mr/77broncorebuildproject )

I am no mechanic or body rebuilder but I cannot afford to pay one what it would cost to fix everything that needs fixing on this rig. I am looking forward to learning and currently have a little time on my hands as I am fighting cancer and unable to work at a real job. I hope you guys/gals (assuming there may be a few ladies on here) will put up with my dumb a$$ questions and help me along the way. General Lee (the bronco) is currently at a mechanic getting his transmission and transfer case rebuilt. I should be bringing him home in the next day or two.

Rebuilding a classic car has always been one of those things I have wanted to do. The 66-77 Bronco is about as classic as they come.

Just wanted to introduce myself and General Lee. Hope ya'll will let me join your cult and allow me to ask a few dumb questions.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Welcome aboard, ask away, most questions recieve several answers and/or opinions.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear of your brother's passing. Everybody gets started sometime and almost everybody has "stoopid" questions. There is a FAQ that is being developed by some of the members here. Also, unlike alot of webistes/forums, the search function above works great. As new topics come up, try a search almost everything you can think of is "out there". Also, if your going to start a full-on resto, become a contributor; its a great way to support the site and it will allow you to post pics...pics can be very helpful to get people invovled and invested (and educated) about what you are trying to accomplish...you will get the best direction and advice that way too. best of luck to you and the General.

John

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
IT' s usually not he answers that hurt just some of the opinions that hit hard ...
but ask away ...we'll suurley give our opinion.....got a lot of them .......
Welcome aboard....

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Welcome to the best Bronco site on the internet! Since you're in Arkansas you need to attend the Oklahoma Classic Bronco Roundup at Hot Springs at the end of September. There's more info in this thread:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85031

You'll meet a bunch of really nice bronco fanatics and be able to see more than 50 of them in action on mild to wild trails. It would be an excellent place to pick up ideas and feedback on building your own truck.

You'll get lots of feedback and encouragement on this site (as long as you don't start bashing our beloved bronco parts vendors) and I'm sure you'll find, as many of us have, that tearing these trucks apart and rebuilding them again and again is a lot of fun!

Welcome to the addiction!

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Welcome!!
"Cult" is an accurate term I think.
I ask a lot of "dumb" questions myself, but everyone here likes to answer!
Let's hear one!

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Welcome aboard. You're just what we need around here, another Arkansan.;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yellowrouge said:
Welcome aboard. You're just what we need around here, another Arkansan.;D
I am not to sure about that:p ;D Welcome to the site ask away no question is too stupid (well unless you want to lift a camaro%) ) sorry about your brother and hope you do well on your cancer.
OCBR is a great place to meet people and you don't even have to have your bronco there.

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
Where is the salt!! Welcome aboard and hope we can help. Are those blinders on the side of the custom cattle guard? %)

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Welcome!!! Sorry to hear about your brother!!! You've found the best place on the world wide web!!!

John

Froggy77

Loc.
Wild West Fairfax,Va
Welcome aboard and my condolences as well. I have/had family in Nashville & Hot Springs.

I have to ask, what the Hell is that on the front of the Bronco??
Looks like the most bulletproof grille, bumper, winch assembly I have ever seen!

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Welcome aboard! Looks like everyone else already covered the intro!

Ask away, we love to answer questions of any kind...

Dave

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Like the others have implied; I dont know how you expect that horse to drink from that big water bowl or pool-thingy, but you might want to take the muzzle off.;D

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
First off condolences to the family and Welcome aboard. 1st rule not to tackle or dismember it so bad you don't want to but it back together. start off with things that will pro long its life, as in rust or any that can show up. Find away to keep it under cover to minimize this effect. Make a list, see whats got to happen first and do a little at a time so that you can enjoy it at any state its in. Broncos of this age are being sought after and are becoming very rare as time passes by and they are now becoming a collectors item. Especially if you can have dozens of parts places making a living off us nuts.

Cheers post some pics!

OP
OP
twisted_mr

twisted_mr

Loc.
Calion, AR
Thanks for the warm welcome. That "muzzle" is pretty common down here. I guess it is for running over saplings / small trees. Mechanic called today and let me know the trans and transfer case were all ready but that I had problems in the steering column shifter. Seemed to think I could get him home as long as I didnt need to back up and had a level place to park it at home....also said oil was squirting out from somewhere. Asked him to let me know what we're looking at tomorrow. How hard is it to take a steering column apart ? I have my shop all cleaned out for his arrival and am rarin to go to work.

ps: I will most likely do some trimming on that bumper when I get a cutting torch. I just bought a wire welder the other day. Having a welder w/o a cutting torch is kinda like having a Bronco w/ big tires and no winch, huh?

Last edited:

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Taking steering column apart isn't near as hard as putting it back together. Unless you have a really good manual, with exploded diagrams, take lots of pictures during disassembly. A lot easier than trying to remember were everything goes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
twisted_mr

twisted_mr

Loc.
Calion, AR
takin pictures

Doyle said:
Taking steering column apart isn,t near as hard as putting it back together. Unless you have a really good manual, with exploded diagrams, take lots of pictures during disassembly. A lot easier than trying to remember were everything goes.

Now there is something I hadn't thought of doing. Taking pictures during disassembly....Good idea ! Fortunately, I do have a real nice digital camera.

Can you still get shop manuals?