• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie with Front Clip Issues

Mallwheeler68

Hey All, I've been a lurker for a while and love the site. I’ve started a 68 build and am having trouble with my inner fenders and rad support lining up with my outer fender. The previous owner built a “custom” rad support but I have replaced it with what should be a factory used one. I took measurements from the firewall to the rad support prior to pulling it apart and thought that would be enough. However, when I first put the front clip together the rad support was about an inch lower than the outer fenders. I’m not sure why but the factory rad support is about an inch shorter than the “custom” built one I removed. There is a two inch body lift but I don’t think this should matter. I put in a couple of 1 inch blocks on the mounts and this helped the height issue. But now I’m having trouble with the fenders at the bottom. Can anyone confirm the dimensions of the rad support (from bottom of mount to top of rad support) and (from overall side to side). The width of the lower part of the grill would help too, just in case my grill is completely messed (don’t think so).

Anyway, here’s where I’m at…..

I’ve screwed the inner fenders to the front rad support and inner kick panels temporarily. That part seems to have gone well. The top of the fenders and grill line up well but when I pull the bottom of the outer fender out to match the bottom of the grill it pulls the lower half of the fender away from the inner fender (photos attached). I’m very confused, the inner fender will get welded to the rad support but then the fender should get bolted to the inner fender. The way it sits the top of the fender and grill are great but if I line up the bottom of the fender with the grill then the bottom of the fender is held away from the inner fender by an inch or more on both sides.

Any insights would be appreciated !!

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have to spend $12 and become a contributor to post pictures (and they have to be under like 280KB). Or post them on a photo sharing site and put a link here.

Welcome!

OP
OP
M

Mallwheeler68

Thanks, I posted late last night and couldn't bring myself to figuring out the re-sizing thing; life's better today:)

Anyway, as the photos show the grill and fender line up well at the top but when I pull my fenders out at the bottom to line up with the grill, the fender pulls away from the inner fender (which will be welded to the rad support). I'm not sure that this can be fixed although for the life of me I can't see how it can happen either. As mentioned in my first post, the rad support had to be raised an inch for the fenders to be at the right height. Any lower and the fender was hanging in the air above the rad support.

Insights and wisdom that might explain what I've done would certainly help end this year on a positive note !!

Thanks again...

Attachments

• Grill 1.jpg
    Grill 1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Bottom of grill and fender.jpg
    Bottom of grill and fender.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Fender pulled out to line up with grill and space shown between fender and inner fender skirt.jpg
    Fender pulled out to line up with grill and space shown between fender and inner fender skirt.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 107

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Post a picture of the inside lip of the top of the fender please. I had a similar problem and the new fenders were spot welded too high. I had to cut the welds and lower the inner lip.

OP
OP
M

Mallwheeler68

Here are the photos of the fender, inside and out. I wasn't sure if you wanted the inside (engine) or inside (wheel) :) Anyway, I worked on it today and I'm getting things to line up but the rad support is still an inch higher than it should be and there's still about a 3/4 inch space between the inner fender and outer fender where they should be bolted together. If it can't be resolved I will get a couple body mounts and cut them as spacers for in between the two panels and bolt them up.

Is it normal to have to do things that wouldn't have been done in the factory even though the parts are all stock (or good replicas)? I was reading another post today and the person there had to cut his new rad support to make things work. His grill had been beaten up a bit but still, the hood is the hood and it's always the same width !!

Thanks again :)

Attachments

• Fender.jpg
    Fender.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Inside Fender.jpg
    Inside Fender.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 55

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a comment here earlier and when I went to check on mine I realized that I actually did the reverse of what I said I did. Your inner fender lip looks ok.

Did you replace the aprons too?

OP
OP
M

Mallwheeler68

I replaced the aprons, wheel wells and fenders but used an old rad support and grill. I did get everything to line up so I think I'' get some body mount bushings and cut them to fit in between the aprons and fender as there is about an inch between the two panels. Also, I've had to use a larger body mount under my rad support to line everything up. I'm sure it's not the way Ford intended but it works, I just don't understand why :)