• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newby Bronco Build

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
Hey guys,

New member here. Been looking at Photo galleries and Tech threads for Ideas for my build. Hope I dont bore you but thought I would give you a history of my "Bronco Love".

It started when I was 5 and my dad bought a new '67 Bronco. He used it for a daily driver and hunting but most of the mileage was rolled up on Sundays. Every Sunday he filled it up and we spent the day riding in the woods. We started the day off with a honeybun and milk and ended up making it home tired, muddy and supper waiting on the table. Those were the days. We lived in North Louisiana and frequented mud races. My uncle raced with a Halfcab for years and owned a track in Monroe where we lived. I loved all the mud and steam from the trucks, unfortunately my build will never see as much as a dirt road.

I have two Broncos I have purchased 5 years ago and am just now getting started on them. I only wanted "one" so I went back and forth on them. One was a '69 with everything but a motor. $500. No biggie cause I had an '84 302 already built with rv cam, edlebrock performer intake and carb combo.
The other was a '77 with what they said was a non running 302, big axles, power steering and front discs. A tree had fallen 15 years earlier and caved in the top and it sat up ever since. Was told they had rebuilt the motor but they could never get it started and finally gave up on it.

I bought the '69 since I had a motor and it was complete with a good top and the tub was in much better shape. I went back to try and buy the spare tire carrier off the '77 and they said they were moving and didnt want to haul the bronco with them and offered to let me have the whole thing for $250. Duh!! I jumped on it and to my surprise was told that extra wheels went with it. Surprise again. White spoke wheels with brand new 31'' Super Swamper TSL's. I wrote that check quickly.

Fast forward now. Before I did anything to the '77 I got a battery, gas can and some help and tried to start the motor. Wasnt getting any fire so I pulled the dist. from my other 302, wires and all and 10 minutes later had a perfect running 302. Happy b'day to me. I then stripped down the '77 to start a frame off build. The tub was so bad that when I took off the doors, top and tailgate, the sides fell off. Floor was completely gone, thats where the '69 comes in. Stripped off all usable parts and trashed the '77 tub. Stripped the frame, blasted and painted it. Am going to build it bit by bit with everything being either new or painted. Once I have a complete rolling chassis I will use the body from the '69 to finish my build. I plan on making this mine and my wifes dream convertable. I am going to customize the dash, door inserts, Rocky Roads hood, cage and bikini top and many extras. Needless to say I will have a garage full of extra parts to get rid of to help me finance my build. I am looking forward to sharing info and knowledge with you guys as I build my ride. (knowledge more from you)

Mike

P.S. My log in name (triggers 68) refers to my '68 mustang coupe i am in the middle of restoring also. Have a '49 F1 p/up tore down also and have fiberglass fenders installed and the bed in pieces to rebuild. Have the body sitting on an '84 ford f-150 4x4 chassis which is where I got the 302 ive built up. My shop and plate are full.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Well trigger, welcome to the club!!!;D ;D Ain't nothing like having a full plate, hope ya' got something that runs!!!!:cool: :cool: And remember......

Attachments

• gallery-albums-userpics-10082-ThisT.jpg
    gallery-albums-userpics-10082-ThisT.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 54

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That's some smokin deals you got there Mike.. Welcome to the site ;)

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Welcome to CB! Good to have yet another Bronco lover around! :)

OP
OP
triggers68

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
Sorry for not having pics but I didnt want to get kicked off the first day. Its my understanding that I cant post any attachments yet. I do have pics of the '69 as bought and of the '77 as bought and during the stripdown. I will see about building a gallery and doing it that way.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Sorry for not having pics but I didnt want to get kicked off the first day. Its my understanding that I cant post any attachments yet. I do have pics of the '69 as bought and of the '77 as bought and during the stripdown. I will see about building a gallery and doing it that way.

You could buy Contributor status for $12. It lets you post pics and gives more mailbox space.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Cool that you have been into Broncos since you were five. I can remember riding in my dad's '71 GTO at that age.

Just a word of caution about the Rocky Roads hood: while I like the design, it is just a flimsy piece of molded fiberglass. Very low quality compared to many of the other fiberglass hoods out there. I have one of the Rocky Roads hoods on my Bronco and really wish I had done more research into quality of fiberglass hoods before I bought it.

Check out Wildhorses selection of hoods for a much higher quality one.

meadowblaster

I agree about the rocky roads hood, I ended up fiberglassing and reinforcing the underside, and put the stock metal front brace and latch assembly into it, now its nice and sturdy.