• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No fan shroud + flex fan = busted fingers

cipioxx

Loc.
Philadelphia
I made a very careless and costly mistake last weekend. The bronco was running and I went to close the hood. The hood support was misaligned so i was fooling with it while it was mostly closed. I have surgery in 2 weeks for ligament grafting and they will set the bones in my middle finger. I can send pics to anyone who needs a reminder on vehicle safety. Stupid mistake with life long consequences...

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
Jesus H Christ. Sorry to hear about the laspe in safety.

GOOD REMINDER TO ALL....

Although people may not want to see the blood and bones, a picture once wrapped up may help drive the message home.

andyp

Contributor
I made a very careless and costly mistake last weekend. The bronco was running and I went to close the hood. The hood support was misaligned so i was fooling with it while it was mostly closed. I have surgery in 2 weeks for ligament grafting and they will set the bones in my middle finger. I can send pics to anyone who needs a reminder on vehicle safety. Stupid mistake with life long consequences...

That sucks, no pic for me needed...

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
yikes! I was looking at fan shrouds, too, last night. definitely getting one soon!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Makes me glad I got that nylon fan and fiberglass shroud from JBG last year.

djhudson05

That does suck. I got mine hit by the blade ends on a 86 f150 this summer. No blood but bruised bad and sore for about 2 weeks.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I pulled the same stunt years ago....except I was working on a commercial furnace while the fan was running. I feel your pain, good luck with recovery!

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Sorry to hear that cip. Hope everything comes out ok in the end.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
While reading this story about busted fingers/ Fan blade insertion....It Reminds me of ...A Kid pulls into my driveway and says he needs gas ....and would I loan him.....or Would I buy This Room Fan...form him...$5.00-$10.00....At First I said NO....THE MOTOR WAS A DAYTON 1.5 HP....AS HE SETS IT DOWN...HE HANDS ME THE PLUG.....AS I TURN TO PLUG IT IN....I HERE A OH SHIT....SO I UNPLUG IT...HE'S HOLDING A HANDFULL OF BLOODY..GOO.....SO I RINCE HIS HAND OFF WHILE STAYING AWAY FROM THE BIO-HAZARDS....I GIVE HIM FIRST AID FOR NEARLY SEVERD MIDDLE FINGER...SECOND KNUCKLE..WOW....THE GASH WAS BAD..
..I TOLD HIM KEEP THE FAN....AND HERE'S $20.00 FOR GAS...AND MAYBE.....BANDAIDS

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ouch and sad to hear, but on the positive side it doesn't seem to have affected your typing!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Yikes, I've cut myself just removing bolts in the engine bay and nicking myself on the fan. I can't imagine getting hit by it when it's running. Where's the sick to my stomach smiley icon? Hope you recover soon.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
Ouch man!

I had a little reminder in fan safety last week at work myself. I was working on a 65 T-Bird and my cell phone slipped out of my shirt pocket and in to the fan. I flinched away just in time to miss all of the shrapnel that was shot back at me.

My phone looked ugly enough, I sure don't want to see your hand. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

OP
OP
C

cipioxx

Loc.
Philadelphia
thanks

Ouch and sad to hear, but on the positive side it doesn't seem to have affected your typing!
Thanks everyone... Well, I use the thumb of my right hand for the right side of the keyboard. Slower than before, but effective. It takes me longer, but I am trying. The fan is too big for a factory shroud so I am probably going to replace it with a smaller flex fan so I can fit a shroud.

Late October has been rough for me for 2 years straight. last year my house burnt down and now I mangled my hand... Fun times.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
YGM. I have more if you need them. The middle finger is not healing so well. Top join is still severed and "wiggles" all over the place. Very disturbing to see and feel.

:eek: Damnit...I'll be careful what I ask for next time,but this will make a good topic for the safety meeting.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
we have a "body damage" thread for this kind of carnage.