• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No Fuel/Spark Help

Capertrj

I recently just purchased a 1976 that was sitting for about 7 years. I started out by putting a little bit of marvels oil in each cylinder and let it sit. Good news is that the motor spun over really easy.

My setup has two of the clear paper fuel filters. As the motor was spinning over no fuel was making it to the motor and the filters werent even filling up. I was told it could be a bad fuel pump since it was sitting so long so I replaced that but still am not getting any fuel. Any other ideas?

Also, I pulled the #1 plug and i am not getting any spark. The current setup is the Pertronix II. What route should i take to trouble shoot?

I also called Holley about what i should do to my 670 truck avenger since it was sitting so long. I gave them the model number and it seems there was a recall on the carb. Might be getting a free carb. As of now I put a brand new Edelbrock performer carb on there.

What actions should i take to get her running?

broncobilly72

did you drain the fuel tank? Gas sitting more than a few months can go bad. Try disconnecting the fuel ine at the fuel pump inlet and forcing air back into the fuel tank to see if there is a blockage. Petronix is a good set up , but if you leave the ignition switch on for a long period without the engine running, it will burn up the Petronix.

69red

Loc.
Cochrane, AB,CAN
check that the fuel tank selector switch that is under the driver's seat is set to a tank: lever to the right is the main (rear) tank, lever up is off and lever to the left is the aux (front) tank.

the switch on the dash just selects the gauge, it doesn't switch the tank.

OP
OP
C

Capertrj

The tank was bone dry when it arrived. Also I only have 1 gas tank so no selector switch.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Those clear filters aren't a good troubleshooting tool. Horizontal filters usually won't fill up. You'll need to check both spark and fuel delivery.
Pull the hose from the carb and check while cranking.
Pull a plug wire and check the spark to ground while cranking.
Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

ChrisC74

Ricky - have you got this thing started yet? I am hoping you are having too much fun driving your new bronco to update the post.

Let us know how it is going.