• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP-435 top cover questions

easton68

Loc.
Salt Lake City
Hey there just have a ?. I swapped out my original 3 spd for a NP 435. At first the engine would not crank over unless the clutch was pushed in. I pulled the top cover off of the tranny and found that the cover was not on correctly and was binding up the gears. Once the cover was off I reached in and slid the granny gear toward the back about a half inch and it fired right up. Is this unusual or did I just have the cover on wrong? When I do that everything seems good but once I install the cover again it binds up again to where it will not crank over unless the clutch is in. Oh also when the cover is on the trans the shifter is in the neutral position but the trans is obviously not because I can't turn the rear yoke on the T-case. Any help would be great and thankyou. I have heard the NP435 top cover can be a bit of a pain, if so can anyone explain the best way to put it on?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Clutches can be the same for any manual trans. I think your problem is the set-up before you install the top cover.. You need to make sure that rails are in neutral and that the top cover goes on the same way..
Better yet do it with the shifter off the cover..

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
you are screwing up the shifter forks? or rails? when you put it on I had the same problem when I put mine on, take off the cover then play with the gears till its in neutral then align the linkages in the cover so all the holes line up, the put on the cover, MAKE SURE the forks line up with the rings there should be no resistance putting it on put the shifter on and you are good.

I am sorry this post is so vague and full of what is most likely wrong nomenclature to be truthful I couldn't have done it without the help of an old timer at the hobby shop who has forgotten more stuff than I know. X2 on what mad said though, it's a pain to get that shifter back on but it will save alot of grief in the long run.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Print off the picture at this link. Make sure you get the shift forks in the slots in the gears made for them, not in front or behind the gears and you will be fine. Put the cover on in neutral. When you look down into the hole where the shifter goes in the top of the cover, you should see all of the shift rails aligned so that all of them line up into a rectangle slot side to side. Just take your time it is not hard at all.

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/72258

BroncoBrother

Loc.
Sandy, UT
If the tranny is in neutral, should all the gears spin when you start the Bronco with the cover off? We still can't seem to get this lined up properly, we have the printout from the link higher in the thread but are not having any luck getting this top cover installed.

Last edited:

bludorbronc

You do have the handle out ,don't think I could put mine in with handle in. Make sure all the plastic pads are in good shape.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The gear on the idler for reverse sorta 'floats' around on that shaft and will not simply stay put like the others will with top cover removed. That and that particular shift fork is the long one that has to snake all the way down to that gear and engage its groove. Sounds to me like yr problem and it does take some patience to get the rail properly engaged with that little fella buried down there...

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
The gear on the idler for reverse sorta 'floats' around on that shaft and will not simply stay put like the others will with top cover removed. That and that particular shift fork is the long one that has to snake all the way down to that gear and engage its groove. Sounds to me like yr problem and it does take some patience to get the rail properly engaged with that little fella buried down there...

I think exactly this same thing. This was my problem exactly. That reverse gear is way down in the bottom of the case and it can slide back behind or in front of the shifting fork. In order to be properly positioned, the shift fork has to be in the slot in the center of that gear, not behind or in front of it. Since that gear floats, the fork is all that holds it in place and if you look closely at the picture link I sent that shows neutral, you can see the position the reverse fork (the long one) must be in.