• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP205 1310 yoke install - rubber gasket?

bsquared

Contributor
I've replaced the rear seal on my NP205 and bought a new yoke to install. Seems I missed the 32 spline rubber gasket that goes below the pinion nut.

Is this rubber gasket a must have to keep it from leaking? It does seem to be slinging a very small amount of oil and I thought it was the groove left in my original yoke. Got this picture from a posted rebuild.

Thanks for the help! B2

Attachments

• PinionGasket.JPG
    PinionGasket.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 29

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
Yep it'll continue to leak without it. Silicone will work also but, don't drive it untill the silicone dries overnight or it'll fling it out.

jsniper06

Loc.
Crowley, La.
Dont mean to jack this thread, How did you get the nut tight on the 1310 yokes? The socket is 1 5/16", but I cant find one with thin enough wall to work. Thanks for the info.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
I usually put some high temp silicone on the splines of the yoke, slide it on and then behind the washer before I tighten it down and have never had one leak that way. Make sure and clean the surfaces with brake cleaner first. Let it sit for a few hours and you should be good to go.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dont mean to jack this thread, How did you get the nut tight on the 1310 yokes? The socket is 1 5/16", but I cant find one with thin enough wall to work. Thanks for the info.

I have one that I modifed just for that purpose; turned it down on the lathe until it fit. A grinder would accomplish the same thing of course..