• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 install issues

jperry1290

I pulled my NP435 because it felt like the clutch was slipping and the thing was leaking like a sieve. I replaced the seals and installed a new clutch. The gears looked good.

Problem 1:
I reinstalled everything that came out. Now I cant shift into 1st or 3rd because the shifter is blocked by the dash. It slightly hit the dash before I removed it but I was always able to get it into gear without issue. I lowered the crossmember about 1in with a jack and disconnected the driveshaft. I was able to shift it into all gears with the engine off and running. Why would the throw to 1st and 3rd be longer now? (I do not have a body lift)

Problem 2:
With everything installed I tried driving down the street in 2nd. The clutch grabs, but as I increase the throttle it acts like it did before and seems to not be grabbing all the way. I have not adjusted the shift linkage yet as I am waiting for responses.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1: You should likely get the shifter bent to fit your needs. I did mine and it doesn't hit anything. Why it hits now is beyond me.
2: You don't have any shift linkage to adjust. Clutch linkage yes. Work on that to get full throw with initial free play.

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

1: You should likely get the shifter bent to fit your needs. I did mine and it doesn't hit anything. Why it hits now is beyond me.
2: You don't have any shift linkage to adjust. Clutch linkage yes. Work on that to get full throw with initial free play.
Moving the adjustment nuts towards the front bumper = less pedal engagement to the throw out bearing and the nuts towards the rear bumper = more pedal engagement to the throw out bearing, correct?

So if the clutch is possible slipping in gear I would go forward correct?

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That sounds about right. I had to think about it since I have adjustments in my vertical rod that marries the Z-bar up through the floor to the clutch pedal lever too.
How much travel in the clutch pedal do you have before it engages the throw out bearing?

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

That sounds about right. I had to think about it since I have adjustments in my vertical rod that marries the Z-bar up through the floor to the clutch pedal lever too.
How much travel in the clutch pedal do you have before it engages the throw out bearing?
I will need to measure/inspect the travel later this week. Thanks for the suggestions