• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 questions (just installed)

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Ok I got my truck out today to strech its legs and I like the tranny alot.

1. Is there any syncros in granny and reverse?

2. It seems like I grind alot in these two gears. Should I adjust my clutch? Which way do you adjust it??

3. In 4 Low and in granny it seems to be a little loud, whinny and wierd. Maybe Im not use to the low low gears. but It just seems wierd.

4. Could it be low on fluid and making it a little louder?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Granny and reverse are not synchronized.

Granny and Reverse whine pretty loud due to being so low

I would check the fluid just to be sure, but in general you are still going to have the noises you have described. Perfectly normal with the NP435. These issues threw me for a loop as well when I installed mine almost 10 years ago. Just takes a little getting used to.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Ok I got my truck out today to strech its legs and I like the tranny alot.

1. Is there any syncros in granny and reverse?

2. It seems like I grind alot in these two gears. Should I adjust my clutch? Which way do you adjust it??

3. In 4 Low and in granny it seems to be a little loud, whinny and wierd. Maybe Im not use to the low low gears. but It just seems wierd.

4. Could it be low on fluid and making it a little louder?

Sounds like an np435 to me ;D

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
OK i NEED TO ADJUST THE CLUTCH. i WILL MOVE WITH THE CLUTCH TO THE FLOOR WHICH WAS DO YOU GO ON THE ALLTHREAD?? hOW DO YOU ALL ADJUST YOUR CLUTCH??

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If you are still transferring power to the rear wheels with the clutch pedal on the floor, you need to lengthen the rod between the clutch pedal bell crank and clutch fork.

Scrapper_MV

Sometimes mine does not want to go in to granny/reverse when I'm at a complete stop. I have found that letting the clutch out a little bit while pushing on the shifter helps it get into gear.

And mine generally does not like to downshift at all in any gear. It will down shift if I really push/pull hard, but it dont like it none.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Yep you have a NP435 for sure! Don't you love it? ;D These are great transmissions. Come to a complete stop before shifting into first or reverse is best if you want to avoid the gear grinding.;)

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Sometimes mine does not want to go in to granny/reverse when I'm at a complete stop. I have found that letting the clutch out a little bit while pushing on the shifter helps it get into gear.

And mine generally does not like to downshift at all in any gear. It will down shift if I really push/pull hard, but it dont like it none.

AS TGJ said, First and reverse have no syncros... 2nd,3rd and 4th are syncroed.. If your trans doesnt like to down shift from 4th to 3rd to 2nd then the syncros are bad and need to be replaced. OR learn to double clutch ond down shifts...

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
it will down shift fine. My flywheel and cluth are spinning with the pedal to the floor. I need a small adjust on the clutch

Scrapper_MV

AS TGJ said, First and reverse have no syncros... 2nd,3rd and 4th are syncroed.. If your trans doesnt like to down shift from 4th to 3rd to 2nd then the syncros are bad and need to be replaced. OR learn to double clutch ond down shifts...

Mine will down shift, but it takes a firm hand on the shifter. It doesn't grind when I down shift, it just takes a little more pressure, is that normal?

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
In addition to being non-syncro, first and reverse are also square cut gears if I'm not mistaken. This explains the gear whine and why they sometimes don't want to go into gear (the tops of the gear teeth hit and won't slide past each other). As mentioned, just release the clutch and depress it again. This should move things around enough that they'll line up.

I drove a chevy truck and a '78 bronco for about 5 years collectively. Both had NP435/NP205 drivetrains. Double clutching when you downshift is by far the best way to drive these things. With a little practice you'll find that the "truckishness" of the transmission is gone and you can shift quickly and easily, retaining better control of your vehicle and not losing focus on the road in front of you while you fight with the transmission.

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I cant wait to drive mine with the NP435 (still building the Bronco). Sure seems like this will be a little different than the old 4 speeds Ive had. My buddy says it will take some getting used too and if a thief trys to take her he will never get it going unless he has driven a NP435.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
There are so many NP435 equipped vehicles out there that I wouldn't count on a thief being uninitiated. Ford, chevy, and dodge all used them in their 1/2 ton trucks along with other work truck applications.

They're really not all that different or exotic. Just think of a work truck and that's what your trans will feel like. What they are is rock solid reliable, compact, and a good all around transmission for a 4x4.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Noise

If you have trouble with the noise in the NP435 then you need to come and plow with my old 830 case tractor in 5th gear or low in high range ...It has screamed for the last 40 years still a good tractor ...4TH and 6TH are quit..But the old Np435 is noisy ...But very durable ...and useful..Being a farmer ...NP435 in town it takes off great in 2nd ..A real "parts finder" and then on the farm or hills it pulls great in 1st gear to pull a hill or a load of Jeep parts ..

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
it will down shift fine. My flywheel and cluth are spinning with the pedal to the floor. I need a small adjust on the clutch

Your flywheel and pressure plate will still spin with clutch pedal to the floor. Its the disc inbetween the two that stops rotating when the clutch is disengaged.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
If you try to downshift without double clutching and there's a big mismatch between the engine and trans rpm, it'll be very hard to shift. You're really working the syncros by forcing them to move all that mass and match the rpms for you. The harder you push the faster the rpms will match up enough for the gears to mesh, but the more wear it can put on the syncros. 435's are not designed to be fast shifting transmissions. Under normal circumstances, 1-2 seconds per shift isn't out of the ordinary I'd say. You can speed that up a little by double clutching, but it takes some practice. Even though the trans is built to take a substantial amount of abuse, I'd recommend double clutching just as a precaution against extra wear and tear.

Also, as I remember, if you have worn shift forks/guides, then you could be trying to force the shifter into the slightly wrong position which would also explain the stiff shifts.