• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 rear output bearing won't go that last 1/2"!

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
I popped off the top cover and realigned all the gears and pins so I could press the rear output shaft and bearing back in all the way. (it slipped iut during trans removal) But I just can't seem to get it to go that last little bit and I can't figure out why???

Tried to hammer it in using mallet and 2x4 on the bearing but it won't budge. Any ideas?

photo2-2.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

Last edited:

Phil76

Loc.
Aransas Pass, TX
Have you tried rotating it while you push it in to make sure it meshes correctly with the gear inside? I rebuilt one of these, but it's been awhile back.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
something is binding and preventing it from going all the way in. take it apart again and check.
sounds like the common "one roller bearing fell out again" deal.
been there, done that.

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
Has the out put shaft slid back far enough to come out of the pocket bearing in the clutch shaft and blocking it from going back in

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
np435 break down

#13 or #16 is probably the culprit. You won't know unless you take it apart.

attachment.php

Attachments

• np435_p1.jpg
    np435_p1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 68

bax

Contributor
Old Member
It's 16 The roller bearings can fall out of place when you let the rear shaft slip out the back. You have one roller laying sideways stopping the shaft from going back in all the way.

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
It's 16 The roller bearings can fall out of place when you let the rear shaft slip out the back. You have one roller laying sideways stopping the shaft from going back in all the way.

Talked to the guy at Novak yesterday and he told me to check the same thing... I believe he called them the Needle bearings. Said there were three of them that could be fixed by pulling out the input shaft & housing and repositioning them.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Talked to the guy at Novak yesterday and he told me to check the same thing... I believe he called them the Needle bearings. Said there were three of them that could be fixed by pulling out the input shaft & housing and repositioning them.

We are already telling you the problem you're having with output shaft.