• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 - Rebuild or Replace??? Need Advice

Rocket600R

Hey All.

So my NP435 has started grinding going from 2nd to 3rd & now there are no longer any "smooth shifts" from 2nd to 3rd.

As I won't be doing the work on the truck, I took it to a local shop and was quoted 10 hrs to rebuild it. @ $90 / hr + the overhaul kit ($100 from TBP), I'd be into this repair for a cool $1k.

I noticed you can also buy a reman NP435 from TBP for $850, which would only require a few hours in labor for the swap. I figure conservatively $1200.

I'm at a toss up of what to do... Suggestions?

Thanks much.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Hey All.

So my NP435 has started grinding going from 2nd to 3rd & now there are no longer any "smooth shifts" from 2nd to 3rd.

As I won't be doing the work on the truck, I took it to a local shop and was quoted 10 hrs to rebuild it. @ $90 / hr + the overhaul kit ($100 from TBP), I'd be into this repair for a cool $1k.

I noticed you can also buy a reman NP435 from TBP for $850, which would only require a few hours in labor for the swap. I figure conservatively $1200.

I'm at a toss up of what to do... Suggestions?

Thanks much.

It sounds like you are going to be the one pulling the trans and installing it? The NP435 is a VERY easy rebuild. If you have the mechanical aptitude to pull the trans, you can rebuild it yourself. $100 in the rebuild kit is all the $ you will need other than possibly resurfacing the flywheel and a new clutch.

OP
OP
Rocket600R

Rocket600R

It sounds like you are going to be the one pulling the trans and installing it? The NP435 is a VERY easy rebuild. If you have the mechanical aptitude to pull the trans, you can rebuild it yourself. $100 in the rebuild kit is all the $ you will need other than possibly resurfacing the flywheel and a new clutch.

Mechanical aptitude - Not quite at this level.

I wish I trusted myself enought to attempt it. This may be a bit out of my league.... And I just recently moved to Orange County, NY so can't call on any friends to help me....

Anyone live near Orange County, NY with a free weekend that wants to help me bang this out? $$$, beer, food...

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
To far for me but it really is easy. I bet you can find a step by step with pictures online somewhere.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
To far for me but it really is easy. I bet you can find a step by step with pictures online somewhere.

I agree with this. You got no hair on your ass if you dont try this. It really is easy.

Toddpole

Contributor
Watch a few YouTube videos on how to rebuild one. Then jerk it out and go to work on it. The trans you pervs! If you feel like you've gotten in way over your head you can order a rebuilt unit or have yours rebuilt. There's no better feeling than knowing you accomplished a task that you previously thought insurmountable; especially on your Bronco.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
My opinion, just get another. Those are littered in the junk yards for 50-75$.
I'd grab one that looks nice and give it a shot to just replace it yourself. It's very easy to at and R a transmission.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
First trans that I rebuilt, Very easy to do, 16,000 miles and still going strong! PM me your email address I have the rebuild manual in PDF format I can send you

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
They are stupid easy to rebuild - I was forced into it once...

IMG_20130525_203947_zps4c3246dd.jpg
IMG_20130526_163102_zpsa51cbc58.jpg

I snapped the output shaft off the NP435 at the transfer case last year at a 4x4 event. I pulled it out on my trailer, took apart a parts trans and made one good one. They are STUPID easy - I doubt the bearings are bad, just swapping things around is all you are doing. You need a hammer and a chunk of wood for the majority of the work.

OP
OP
Rocket600R

Rocket600R

Wow! How long did it take you to swap? I definitely have a hammer and block of wood. Lol

What other special tools would I need. Any?

Thx again.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
These may help some....

Attachments

• 435 assembly diagram 1.jpg
    435 assembly diagram 1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 435 assembly diagram 2.jpg
    435 assembly diagram 2.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 435 assembly diagram.jpg
    435 assembly diagram.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 54
  • 435 first.jpg
    435 first.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 65
  • 435 second.jpg
    435 second.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 435 third.jpg
    435 third.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 435 fourth.jpg
    435 fourth.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 435 reverse.jpg
    435 reverse.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 435 neutral position.jpg
    435 neutral position.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 56

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Swap in a NV 3550.
That should fix it

Seriously. Do nt pay $1000 to get it rebuilt

You can do it

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
They are easy to rebuild. The only concern I have when doing them is making sure the input shaft end play is within spec. I just re-use the same gaskets/shims that I removed when disassembling, but would like to know the correct way to measure the end play.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Wow! How long did it take you to swap? I definitely have a hammer and block of wood. Lol

What other special tools would I need. Any?

Thx again.

It took a little over an hour and ~3 beers. Its really easy - don't be scared. Don't WASTE a grand...

OP
OP
Rocket600R

Rocket600R

Now I absolutely won't be spending a grand to get it repaired.

I still don't know if I'm going to take this on myself.... I'll keep looking to see if I can get someone to swing by the house for a weekend this summer.

Should I go ahead and order the Overhaul kit from TBP in the meantime?

Thanks again all.