• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 Top Cover Gasket?

65fordstang

Loc.
East Wenatchee, WA
I wanted to pull the top cover off of the NP435 I just picked up yesterday and wanted to know if there is a gasket (or needs some permatex) that needs to be replaced upon reassembly.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
why you pulling the top cover off?

The only thing it will show you is that the little plastic antirattles on the shift forks are in place, well at least until you try to put the cover back on. If I was just going to look in there to ses if there was rust or matal I would pull the PTO cover off. Its easier to put back on and silicone well definately seal it up.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Permatex will do the trick. I did however cut my own gasket from some gasket stock I had laying around. Probably overkill...

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I highly recommend pulling the top cover off for inspection before you install the tranny! I purchased one for my frame-off project and it was nice and clean and they guy painted it and said he inspected it and all was good...so I did not pull the top off for inspection. I installed it and it turns out the guy did not get the reverse shifting fork back on the correct side of the reverse gear and out the tranny had to come! Huge lesson learned on my part, always do your own inspection and always pull the top cover! On another occasion I pulled a top cover to find a lot of rust...took the tranny back to the junk yard and got my $ back. From the outside it looked perfect! Good luck.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
you could see that from the PTO cover

I highly recommend pulling the top cover off for inspection before you install the tranny! I purchased one for my frame-off project and it was nice and clean and they guy painted it and said he inspected it and all was good...so I did not pull the top off for inspection. I installed it and it turns out the guy did not get the reverse shifting fork back on the correct side of the reverse gear and out the tranny had to come! Huge lesson learned on my part, always do your own inspection and always pull the top cover! On another occasion I pulled a top cover to find a lot of rust...took the tranny back to the junk yard and got my $ back. From the outside it looked perfect! Good luck.

You could see that from the PTO cover, and you could make the same mistake putting the cover back on. I have done it before myself. I don't know why it seems so hard to get that cover back on sometimes. :)