• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV 3550 Swap question

Victor Roberts

Loc.
San Diego
I am excited, I just received my NV 3550 trans swap kit but noticed that
the directions say this kit works better with a 1" body lift, the directions showthat I need to cut out the dog house re-inforcing channel to fit trans. Has anyone had problems or other issues. I guess i am ok with cutting out
the body bracing but i usually find that there will be several other conflicts. has any one done this swap and am i just better off doing the body lift?

Ed74

Loc.
San Diego, CA
You need to perform one or the other in order to install the NV3550. Personally, I did not want to cut the support channel and opted for the WH 1" body lift instead. The body lift is an easy install as long as your body mount hardware is not rusted. The NV3550 is a terrific upgrade! Best of luck.

Ed

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
I opted for a 2" BL and you could drive a bus in between the tranny and tunnel. I only had to cut a small hole for the shifter. BTW, Great upgrade. I love the trans.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Custom_Body_Lift_Kit_1in/Body_Lifts

Is what you need. Its on sale--it looks like, right now too. Your old body mounts were/are probably crap anyway. There are several threads that you can find specifics on doing the swap, but the only things to really watch for is the fan shroud may need to be clearanced just a little and you will need to loosen the steering column and the set screw on the steering shaft while raising it...it most cases. Otherwise, its pretty simple and straightforward. Make sure you dotn pinch any wires...and, oh yeah, have a sawzall on hand, its often useful to cut the old bushings out of the original body mounts...even if you can get the bolts out, sometimes the bushings have seized.

Have fun with the new tranny.

wpso115

Did the 1 inch B/L, everything worked out great. Seems like the best way to go.

dewshan

Loc.
Estes Park, Colorado
what's the dog house reinforcing channel? I put my nv3550 in with no body lift and I think the only mod I had to do was to make the shift lever angle a bit more so it wouldn't hit the dash.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Every Eb should have a 1" body lift anyway . And i wouldn't want to cut out any body bracing.
As far as the 3550 goes -follow the instructions. Even tough they are lacking for detail in some places . There's a link on here to the swap in the tech article section . Also one on Broncofix web site in the tech section . Print them out ; cause it will help .
I found in MY kit some of the bolts were too short and some of the washers were too small . Plan a trip to the hardware store.
I also found two different shifters . So yours may not hit the dash ; mine doesn't.
Do you have the J-shift or t-shift Transfere case ? I had to modify and reinforce the adapter mount for my t -shift . And i hear the t-shift is harder to modify for twin sticks { mounting location}
Also true to all things Early Bronco - no two EBs are alike . My 3550 combo is longer than my stock tranny and Tc were . But that turned out ok because i don't need a longer driveshaft with the 3 1/2 " suspension lift.
SHX
Oh ; you'll never go back to the stock 3 spd. With the lower 1st gear and the x-tra gear , and o.d.

Last edited: