• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 short throw shifter

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I'm thinking of replacing the shifter on my NV3550 with one of the short throw ones.
I see B&M and Hurst both make one. Anyone have any experience or hear anything about either?
SHX

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
the B&M is close to the dash, the hurst is real comfortable. it 's a night and day difference in how it shifts from the stock shifter. i can get you a pic tomorrow.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
here ya go. first pic in 1st gear, second pic in 2nd gear. throw is about 3 1/2". only thing i don't like is the size of the shift boot i have to use.

Attachments

• DSCF0848.JPG
    DSCF0848.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCF0849.JPG
    DSCF0849.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 227
OP
OP
S

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Thanx for the info and the photo .
Using somebody elses experience helps in making these decisions . I hate those " do -overs " or "Gee I wish i would have."
SHX

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
yeah, there's that. if i had duff twin sticks at least it'd match. the tom's knobs aren't the same thread either.

i did redo my boot today, just temporarily. i'm trying to find a tall narrow boot that'll clear the stop bolts. not real thrilled with it, but at least it's not massive and laying over my drop down console.

Attachments

• DSCF0850.JPG
    DSCF0850.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
S

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I was told it was difficult to twin stick a T-Shift with a NV3550 .
Did you guys have any trouble ? Or just a little modifying?
SHX

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
wasn't too bad. the bracket that comes with the kit sucks because there's no way to lock the bolt through the shifters. i think i made 1 of my 2 linkages just to get the sticks exactly where i wanted them.

if i had to do it over again, i think i might order one of WH's twin stick kits for the NV3550.

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
I like my B&M but as stated earlier, it is close to the dash. Not a knuckle buster like the orig. 3 speed, but close. it does have a very short throw and super smooth shift to it though. I would not change it. It is also billet based and has a stainless arm. Very nice shifter. Here is a pic.

DSC03447.jpg

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,

I modified my stock nv3550 shifter by cutting the rod where it imputes into the square tube, shortened it, re-bent it with a vice and a pipe, and re-welded it back together. I love it. For the twin sticks, I tried JB but the mounted way off to the left and hit my knee so I fabricated my own twin stick shifter. For the boot to clear the shifter I found a guy in the Midwest who sells whole sale Jeep parts and got a mid 80's shifter boot. The whole set up is very comfortable to shift. The complete set up was cheaper than buying a new B&M shifter for sure. It feels more like driving a sports car than a 66 Bronco!

Chris
taipeichris13@yahoo.com

PS I'll take some photos and see if someone can post them tomorrow. C-

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
here's chris' shifter;

Attachments

• tai1.JPG
    tai1.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 141
  • tai2.JPG
    tai2.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 136
  • tai3.JPG
    tai3.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 127

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
yeah it does, a lot more than the stock shifter!

if anybody wants it, i still have the stock shifter that came with my NV3550. it has a billet knob with it. tired of it sitting around. might make a good one to experiment with.