• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 - Twin Shifters install - updated pics of exhaust tip 5/12/07

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Yo Bronco Brothers, what a long fricken day.

Got the old trans out, and the NV3550 is in and man what a difference. We ran out of time tonight, so I still have to hook up the twin stifters for the transfer case, and cover up the big hole on the side of my trans tunnel. Just to be safe I left the front driveshaft off.

Also WOW is it a loud ride back to my house. My 2 into one exhaust didn't even come close to working. So we just cut the muffler, and tail pipe off. So right now I am running about 3 feet of straight pipe off each header.

Since it is pretty Loud and I didn't want to get pulled over, so I didn't get on it to hard. In the past to keep up to traffic on the highway I allways had to run 3500 rpms, now I keep up with no problems at around 2500-2700. My speedometer has never been the most accurate, I know it reads at least 5 mph slower than I am really going. I have only seen it say over 70 once or twice, and that was around or over 4000 rpms. Tonight on the way home I was just cruisin and looked down and low and behold 70 mph, and that was around 3000 rpms maybee a little less.

Now when I am at a stop sigh or a light, the truck really jumps when you let off the clutch, I love the lower first gear.

I will finish up the shifter, the trans tunnel, and the exhaust by the end of the weekend, and post some pictures.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Last edited:

stlkikn

Whooo hooo!!
Glad you like it so far, they are a great swap for the Bronc!

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
Congrats! I love mine, but I am still running 3.50 gears, so I can't even get into 5th under 70. Looking to do 4.56s in the next couple of weeks.

Are you using the shifter that came with the kit? If so, check out the Hurst shifter, it is a world of difference in the feel of the shifting.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Dave St said:
Congrats! I love mine, but I am still running 3.50 gears, so I can't even get into 5th under 70. Looking to do 4.56s in the next couple of weeks.

Are you using the shifter that came with the kit? If so, check out the Hurst shifter, it is a world of difference in the feel of the shifting.

I have 456 gears, and with my 35's thats a awesome combo, and yes I have the Hust shifter allready installed.

I am dropping it off at the exhaust shop in a little bit. I am going to run duals, exiting infront of the rear tires.

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
I did the 2-into-1 with the magnaflow, but if I could go back and do it over I would have went with duals; the 2-into-1 is alot louder than I thought it would be - exiting behind the tires though, in front can be really loud.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound, just wish the volume was down a notch....

Last edited:
OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Dave St said:
Don,

Is first gear too low for street use now?

thanks

It is a little lower than I thought it would be, though it is better than my toploaders crappy first gear. Well maybee I will go up to some 36's hehe.

I picked up the truck from the exhaust shop. I didn't like where he put the tip, I told him right infront of the rear wheel, but he has it about 3 inches to far foward. He told me he will fix the tip, but it was to late tonight. I went with 2.5 inch pipes from the headers, then he made a custom Y pipe that steps up to 3 inches. It them goes into a 3 inch round Magnaflow, with a 3 inch tail pipe.

I tell you it is one of the best exhast systems I have ever heard. It has a nice deep rumble ay idle, is sick crazy(pretty loud) when on the gas, but fairlly quiet when on the highway or cruising. Every tells me my Lightnings exhaust sounds awesome, but this might just be sicker.

I will post some pcs later, but I left my camera in the truck last nigh, and I have to let it defrost.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Got a little more done today

Figured out how to install the twin shift for the transfer case. I clocked the transfer case in the middle position, and installed the bracket without the two little spacers. Thia made the part where it goes to the shift rail work, but the shifter levers were to close to the transmision shifter. So I cut the shifter levers off, and removed the curved section of the shaft. A friend is going to reweld them back on this weekend.

I am attaching a picture of the modified shifter, minus the sticks welded on. While I can't shift it now, at least I know it will stay in 2 hi.

Also here are some pictures of my new exhaust. You can see where my friend who did the exhaust made a custom Y pipe, that goes from 2.5 then up to 3 inches. It then goes into a Magnaflow 3" in and out muffler. It them exits out infront of the passenger tire.

Hopefully by this weekend it will be all done.

Attachments

• twinshift.JPG
    twinshift.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 188
  • singleexhaust.JPG
    singleexhaust.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 119
  • singleexhaust2.JPG
    singleexhaust2.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 131
  • singleexhaust3.JPG
    singleexhaust3.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 136
  • singleexhaust4.JPG
    singleexhaust4.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 48
  • singleexhaust5.JPG
    singleexhaust5.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 59

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
What did you use for headers? Seem to remember that you were going with BC Broncos. Also, could you post a picture from the side, curious to see how it looks.

Thanks, Walt

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
XT700 said:
What did you use for headers? Seem to remember that you were going with BC Broncos. Also, could you post a picture from the side, curious to see how it looks.

Thanks, Walt

Walt I have the Wild Horses JBA headers

I will take a pic of the tip Sunday, as it is pooring here, and will be all tay tomorow. I have to have my friend fix the tip, as it is a little to far foward.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Got a little more done today
Took a ride to Lowes and got a peice of sheet metal, They had two guages of sheet metal, one a little thinner than stock, the other a little thicker. I went with the thicker of the two, and made a new transmision tunnel patch.

My friend is going to reweld the shifters for my twin stick tomorow, so I didn't cut out the hole for the shifter yet. So hopefully by tomorow it will be 100% finished.

Not to bad for just a grinder and a hammer to do the metal working

Attachments

• sheetmetal.JPG
    sheetmetal.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 139
OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Getting real real close to buttoning it all up.

Over the weekend I modified the patch panel I made for the transmision tunnel. This afternoon, I took it to a guy a know, who welded the Twin shift levers back on, and had him weld up the modifications I made to the patch panel.

Now all I have to do is put the boots for the shifters on, and figure out what I am going to do with the old carpeting. Since it got dark I just duct taped the shifter boot in place.

Here are some pictures of the modified panel, and the Modified Wild Horses twin shifters.

Attachments

• twinshifters.JPG
    twinshifters.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 122
  • twinshifters2.JPG
    twinshifters2.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 147
  • twinshifters3.JPG
    twinshifters3.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 99

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
That's a nice set up. Do you need a body lift to convert to nv3550? I am going to some type of OD later,either auto or nv3550. I am redoing my lift now and may put in less spring lift if I am going to need a body lift later. I have already put in new standard body mounts before I found this site.

gbronco

Loc.
Grasonville, MD
deltarat said:
That's a nice set up. Do you need a body lift to convert to nv3550? I am going to some type of OD later,either auto or nv3550. I am redoing my lift now and may put in less spring lift if I am going to need a body lift later. I have already put in new standard body mounts before I found this site.

I believe the NV3550 needs at least a 1 inch body lift from what I have read. Plenty of new articles and write ups on the site of this swap.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Finally got over to my friends shop the other day, and had him redo the exhaust tip.

It now exits a good 3 inches further back than what it was before. I think it looks much better, and should be protected a lot better from trail damage.

here are the new pics

Attachments

• exhausttip.JPG
    exhausttip.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 33
  • exhausttip2.JPG
    exhausttip2.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 22
  • exhausttip3.JPG
    exhausttip3.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 33