• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OEM radio speaker wire polarity

keymonkey

Hey all,
I'm in the process of reworking the original sound system but encorporating the factory radio as an aux input. Typically the speaker wire with the stripe is negative, but my stock radio has two black wires, one with a white dashed line. This marking on power wires indicates positive. Does anyone know if the striped wire is negative or positive?

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
If you’re only connecting one speaker, it doesn’t matter which of the two speaker output wires from the radio goes to which speaker terminal.

OP
OP
K

keymonkey

If you’re only connecting one speaker, it doesn’t matter which of the two speaker output wires from the radio goes to which speaker terminal.

I'm actually planning to split the mono into 2 sides using an adjustable level line out converter and then feeding that into the aux of a small Boss amp I'm wiring up to provide blutooth and power the new stereo dash speaker and a twin 5" ported box I'm custom building for under the rear seat. I'm not sure the aux in will handle the radio signal properly if the polarity is reversed.

OP
OP
K

keymonkey

Thanks

Yes, it will. Again: there is no polarity in an audio signal; there's only phase when there's more than 1.

Cool, thanks. Modern car audio is so much easier, just a harness plug and keep things consistant. Was definitely more hesitent with a 46yrold head unit mated to modern electronics.