• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

off topic, fuel pump related, really sorry/ semi emergency

shweb

hey this is off topic and i'm really sorry about that but it's sort of an emergency and i don't know anyone to ask and i'm familiar with this site ahh okay

i just got a 4x4 97 chevy silverado half ton and i have to make a trip from texas to florida in it really soon, the problem or potential problem is this...

the fuel pump is buzzing, this means i have to get it fixed. bad news cause apprently 97' fuel pumps and after have all these different parts and it costs a lot of money to fix it, 500-700 dollars according to a mechanic on the phone.

so my question is this... could i make it to florida? how long do these things buzz before your car decides to stop working? at least usually or in your experience. could i probly make it?

the car is in super good condition its got 90,000 miles but it hasn't been driven hard or anything like that everything under the hood looks liek a brand new car everythings new and clean looking still.

and if i shouldn't try to make the trip, is this something i could fix on my own to save money? is it easy to mess up? is it hard to figure out?

i don't want to have to wing it but that may wind up the case cause i'm broke as a joke after buying the friggin truck.

any help is greatly appreciated and i'm sorry for posting about a non-bronco related subject. thanks for any help

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Those Vortec GM pumps are always noisy. They buzz from the factory, which is why GM updated the 99+ pumps. I would say it will make it to Florida provided you don't run it out of gas. It's not too hard to fix though. It's just a simple matter of dropping the tank and pulling the sending unit and swapping it. You'll only need a few special tools like a compression coupler tool and a few sockets. The sending unit as I remember, costs a few hundred dollars complete.

Dropping the tank isn't necessarily difficult, it just takes a lot of time and require moving a lot of crap. I found that taking the bed off is a faster way to do the job.

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
We have a 98' tahoe and it has buzzed sence we got it. Some days more then others. Its been going strong for the last 4 years I would say its fine go on your trip. I also agree with takeing the bed off to change if and when you need to. I don't have that luxury :(

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
Yep - my buddies tahoe does the same thing. He was thinking about replacing it but never got around to it.

I would definately give it a look when you get where you are going.

horseman

If and when you replace it make sure you use a OEM pump. I bought a
pump from shucks and the thing lasted a week. Then my mechanic installed a
oem pump and ive had no issues.