• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OffRoad Expo (We're about to see some new stuff at BC)

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Just got back from the OffRoad Expo and all I have to say is, "I'm glad I didn't have the money for a new top yet." Chuck had it on display so I guess it's alright to talk about. He's been working with CanBack to put together a top for broncos. This thing is sweet. Hopefully someone was able to get some pictures while they were there. Also, I noticed another thread where people were asking about availability of fiberglass parts from BC and Chuck told me that Mallote just agreed to produce his BC exclusive stuff along with the regular hoods, scoops, fenders, etc...BC's display was first rate and put a lot of the giant boths to shame. Good job Chuck, Jason and the rest of the BC gang. Way to represent....;D

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Yeah , what about the top ? I just started a thread last week asking about tops and trying to get peoples opinions. I'm really close to wanting to buy one. Tell us more ;D

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
heres a pic I got of BCs display. I wasnt focusing on the top though.

Attachments

• hpim0107.jpg
    hpim0107.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 1,216
OP
OP
GRIZZLY

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
The window framing and supports you see look like they're bolted into one big powder coated frame. It doesn't fold so the top is super tight. They have indentions in the door window frame to seal with your door rubber when hard doors are used. You have a choice of solid sides in their standard canvas / rubber-like material(the whole top is made of it) or clear side windows that roll up(the material sides also roll up). Their is a rear plastic window that rolls up. Chuck can give a much better description as I only had several minutes to look at it. The rack on top looked fairly easy to take on and off.

Last edited:

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I don't know if Chuck was ready to announce this other than trying to get feedback from the attendees at the show. So I won't make any presumptions other than my own observations and the pictures below. I don't know when it will be ready for sale to the public or what it will cost, so I think we'd all better let Chuck make those announcements when he's ready to do so.

I can say though that I was also quite impressed with the Can-Back top. I've always despised Bronco soft tops for their "covered wagon" look. And since I don't like the weight of the hard top any more than turning my Bronco into a prairie schooner, I've just kept it topless and in the garage. But the Can-Back may have changed my mind.

Kudos to Chuck and Jason for a fine showing. The display looked great.

Dusty

DSCN4993.jpg

DSCN4998.jpg

DSCN4999.jpg

OP
OP
GRIZZLY

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Those are some good shots Dusty. It is definitely a departure from any of the standard tops that were offered before.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
That is a nice top. I want one! Hopfully he will have them ready for next spring.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
That top does look sweet and highly functional. I do have a question for those of you that were there or Chuck. I know several have lamented that rolling up the sides of the Kayline/STC tops ends up scratching the windows up, and that is one of these reasons I'm drawn to the Bestop with it's zip out windows. Is there any sort of allowance for this on these tops? They obviously roll up on the sides, and and I'm assuming they have some sort of flexible plastic windows. Thanks!

bnk70bronco

Loc.
Redding, CA
That top does look sweet. I really don't like the roll up windows on my current top. They fold up tight at first and then the bungee wears out and the rolls just get bigger and uglier. I would love to see a zip out option. I bet that it comes with a hefty price too. Add it to the list.

77sport

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I really like the look of those new tops too. Kind of reminds me of a land rover top. I am going to be in the market for a new top soon and would sure like to get one of these.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
WOW!! Cool! I hope Chuck starts these. I saw them on this dude's pickup in my hometown years ago and really dug it!
Very cool idea!

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
bnk70bronco said:
That top does look sweet. I really don't like the roll up windows on my current top. They fold up tight at first and then the bungee wears out and the rolls just get bigger and uglier. I would love to see a zip out option. I bet that it comes with a hefty price too. Add it to the list.
Easy fix for this. cut the bungee down and put a new snap on.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
mlogan24 said:
That top does look sweet and highly functional. I do have a question for those of you that were there or Chuck. I know several have lamented that rolling up the sides of the Kayline/STC tops ends up scratching the windows up, and that is one of these reasons I'm drawn to the Bestop with it's zip out windows. Is there any sort of allowance for this on these tops? They obviously roll up on the sides, and and I'm assuming they have some sort of flexible plastic windows. Thanks!

The top that Chuck had on Jason's truck didn't have side windows on it. They will be available but will cost extra. The sides are roll-up only.

Todd Z.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I'm confused. The sides are add on's? I'm with the other guy on the roll ups. I love their convenience over the zip outs, but hate that I have to be so anal about being careful that they are clean or wrapped with a towel so they don't scratch when I roll them up. I'll be interested in what Chuck has to say too.

toddz69 said:
The top that Chuck had on Jason's truck didn't have side windows on it. They will be available but will cost extra. The sides are roll-up only.

Todd Z.

digmy76

MASS BUY? MASS BUY! MASS BUY?!

MASS BUY!? When this is all finalized (price and release) and the product becomes available...how about a mass buy. I know there have been about a 1000 of them lately, but it sure seems like there is a lot of interest. It doesn't have to be right of way either. Why not wait until after winter? That would give us enough time to save up the dough and the weather would be more appropriate for letting the top down!;D :eek:

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
First, I apologize to the people that have ask about tops in the last year for not telling them that this was coming. The truth is Jason and I talked to the owner of CanBack last year at the expo about making this top. At first he thought that the market was not there. After a lot of input from Jason and many calls and trips to their shop Jason convenced them it would be a good idea. They had Jasons EB for 3 weeks. They finally installed the very first one Friday night at the Expo. I did not want to tell people about this top and it not happen or come out bad.
Anyway, I first saw it Saterday morning and was very impressed. I have only had a bikini top for several years because I was not impressed with any of the available tops and did not want to go back to the hard top.
The new top has a frame that bolts to your bed rails and is strong enough to support a roof rack.
The metal frame around the door tops is made to use the stock EB top door rubber (the doors will seal).
The top of the door frame has a rain gutter.
The top has straps to hold the top down to the hoops.
The top is keeped tight by a cord in the back.
The sides tuck under the metal of the new door frame so wind can not get in.
The sides come without windows in them.
The window part of the side is an option
The rear panel comes with the window.
They are made of water proof canvas not the plastic stuff so will not shrink.
It should be very close to air tight.
The corners are designed to not catch the wind
The rear panel starts at the top under a flap to keep water from running in
That is about what I know about it right now. I will not know the price until later this week. Oh, and one other thing, at the show a few people ask about a mass buy. It doesn't take you guys long. Anyway I talked to the owner about it and he seemed to like the idea. I will let you know about that one when he sets the price. Also just so everyone doesn't get their hopes up too much these tops are high end and will not be cheap.

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
I am intersted...It looks awesome from what I can see. You can tell by looking its a high end product. Now, I should be receiving my new rear brake kit from you today or tomorrow. Will I be receiving a copy of the new BC catalog with this order? Just had to drop that in there.:-X