• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OK Body Guru's... what am I missing here?

akforsyth

Contributor
Ok so this happened today that made me stop and rethink what I am doing. Long and the short of it is I am replacing the floor pans in my Bronco and was hoping to go with a one piece unit for the entire thing (new races and all). So I set out starting at the drivers side and got the rockers out and then began removing the floor boards. As the pics show I got the drivers side and middle out, leaving the tunnel in place, when as soon as I removed the floor pan, the rear bed dropped about 1". I didn't see it dropout figured that it was the striker post and bed side that dropped down. Once I saw this I quickly did some measurements and found that the door opening is still at 39" where it was before, but I have a feeling if I remove the other side that it will just fold up like a cheap beer can.

With that being said you can see in the pics that the door and striker posts are absolute garbage, the kick panels are home made from plate steel and are throwing some measurements off, and they were not even welded to the front floor brace, what is also broken.

I have pulled a full stop on this and decided to look for some advice before I proceed. My first thought was to start bracing everything I could as well as propping up the rear bed back to where it should be off the frame.

(Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate the pics either)

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2140.jpg
    IMG_2140.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2146.jpg
    IMG_2146.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2145.jpg
    IMG_2145.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 193

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
In the 6th pic It looks like someone has possibly done a repair on that brace before. I don't remember it being 2 pieces, just one solid brace.

Rightpace

The weight of your hardtop is pushing down on the door posts which have no support from the braces and floor channel due to rust. I used a bottle jack and jacked up the bed sides at a pillar braces and raised bed side up to correct floor level. If you notice your front floor channel #1 has a stress crack at body mount and has been teetering the bed sides weight for a while acting as a lever. Inner rocker panels provide the structure in this area. I am currently working on the replacement of inner rocker panel and experiencing the flex at this area as well.

ptwist

I have a few thoughts as I just did this exact thing with my BR. My truck had been cut on by the PO and improperly braced so I couldn't really trust what was there.

First if you have a top put it on and attach the windshield which will help line everything up.

Second I used ratchet straps to the rafters to hold the firewall up and help keep everything lined up.

Third if you havent bought the parts yet you might consider the dynacorn full welded floor. I thin it really help me.

OP
OP
akforsyth

akforsyth

Contributor
Well we got it all squared up again today. The rear half is back where it belongs and measurements match those taken before it was taken apart. Going to work on bracing for the next little bit here. Didn't think of it dropping when I was originally working on it, just thought of bracing between the doors and across the body. If I wasn't learning something it would not be fun!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
akforsyth... you need to hold your phone horizontally instead of vertically to take pics. Pretend it's a 35mm camera... and have the controls on the left and right side instead of the top and bottom

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
First pic is camera held vertically

Second one is camera held horizontally

Attachments

• 20201122_211431.jpg
    20201122_211431.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201122_211436.jpg
    20201122_211436.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
akforsyth

akforsyth

Contributor
akforsyth... you need to hold your phone horizontally instead of vertically to take pics. Pretend it's a 35mm camera... and have the controls on the left and right side instead of the top and bottom

After all these years it turned out to be something so simple. I'm starting to feel old damn it. Thanks nvrstuk.