• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Okay, now I'm really confused...

'66U14

Hey y'all,

Fired up the beast today, it was a nice day out and figured I'd take her down the road for a little bit. I had her running PERFECT in the driveway for at least a half hour, idling smooth as can be, runnin just great. Backed out of the driveway into the street, and she decided to stall RIGHT in the middle of the street.....

Got her pushed over to the curb and started troubleshooting. Will only run when revved up, and sounds rough as heck, like the mixture's way rich/ lean. Dies when brought back to idle. Turning the mixture screw all the way in and all the way out did absolutely nothing. If it makes any difference, my driveway's on a pretty steep uphill incline. Need suggestions.....thanks y'all

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Sounds like maybe a goober got into the needle/seat on the carb and is flooding itself.

75302auto

Sounds like it may have sucked some air in the fuel line. If the tank wasn't full, a steep incline will make my diesel motors do that and i have to bleed the fuel lines until the air is gone.

hucklburry rev2

Maybe a vacuum issue, points? like said, could be a number of things.

What engine, what ignition, all stock 66?

67RT

Bronco Guru
Def. Sounds like points hutvcould be many things. Float. Etc.

OP
OP

'66U14

I'm running stock coil, and stock distributor with the Pertronix module to replace the points. Bone stock 170 I6. The only thing that changed when it started running poorly was being on a slope vs. being flat. Stumped....

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Sounds like it is starving for fuel due to the incline or malfunctioning fuel pump

DJs74

FLIT67

Loc.
Colville, WA
sounds like you might be sucking air around the carb. If you can get someone to keep it running, spray some starting fluid around the base of the carb and if it revs up--wala air leak at the base.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I'm running stock coil, and stock distributor with the Pertronix module to replace the points. Bone stock 170 I6. The only thing that changed when it started running poorly was being on a slope vs. being flat. Stumped....

Early Pertronix modules with the tape band around the reluctor had an issue with the tape coming off and one or more of the small magnets popping out. Had that happen once. Stock Autolite 1100 carbs have an issue with the so called "power valve" sticking also. This will act like a vacuum leak and closing the choke partially will help, but still run rough as crap. Mixture screws will have no effect with vacuum leak or the stuck power valve. Just a couple things I have run into. Good luck.

jagbucket

had that happen with a 390 that only ran once or twice a year inspect the float bowl for crud. vehicles that sit are prone to condensation collecting in the float/tank. and may sit and lidle but when you move it, the crud attacks and gets sucked up in the jets in my case the two barrel is easy to open up and clean out