• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OnBoard air question??

broncobear22

Loc.
Denver, Colorado
I want to finish up the onboard air. I was wondering what size tank people are useing for this? I have 5 gallon tank and wasn't sure if that is to big. I also need some pics of mounting brackets that people have made. I would like it to be on the pass. side to keep things looking not so clutered.

Please any pics or drawings on a bracket would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
If you can get a 5 gallon tank to fit that is great. From what I have read on several different forums many people are using 2 - 2 1/2 gal tanks from 18 wheelers. Some use fire extinguishers others portable compressor tanks. The main thing I have read about is using what you have room to use.

MrLavender

I am using a 5 gal, and i think it is just enough, but i am also using a sanden compressor, so my output isnt as high as a york. you could def get by with less, but the more volume you have the better. it also depends somewhat on the rest of your system....i hate waiting for my tires to fill up

OP
OP
broncobear22

broncobear22

Loc.
Denver, Colorado
Ok so I can use the 5 gal., there is only one port on it for fill up and air out. Do I need to put another one on it?

Need pics of bracket for the york, please?

MrLavender

I fabbed a bracket for my compressor on the serpentine, but i think there are a couple of companies that make brackets to work with a york, depending on whether you are running serpenting or a pulley off the alternater. i would recommend welding a bung on the bottom of the tank to drain the water out of it so it doesnt rust from the inside - i havent done it to mine yet...it wont get crucial until you start using it a lot. check out broncoair.com or kilbyenterprises.com for more info and parts - they might have a bracket that would work for you.

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I am running a 7ish gal tank from a airbarke system on a dumptruck... with a york, if you plan on running an impact you will need the reserve...custom mounting bracket above the alt.

RolledItAgain

broncobear22 said:
Ok so I can use the 5 gal., there is only one port on it for fill up and air out. Do I need to put another one on it?

Need pics of bracket for the york, please?

Could you put a "T" in the one port you have and run one to the IN and one to OUT?
You still might want a guage and a shutoff but I thinkthis would work.
Anybody?

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I'm doing this right now using the stock Mustang Sanden pump. I bought a 3 gallon tank and gauge set up off ebay for $30. The included pressure switch cuts out at 90 psi and I can maintain 60 psi open at idle. It takes about 30 sec to go from empty to fill the 3 gall tank, so I think it will fill tires fine. My tank wouldn't fit under the truck or in the engine bay so I am looking for 2 smaller tanks. I really don't plan on using air tools at this time.

OP
OP
broncobear22

broncobear22

Loc.
Denver, Colorado
I do plan on using air tools if there would ever be a need for them. So I will try and use my 5 gallon air tank.

Any pics of the bracketry would help.
Thanks for the help so far

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Hot topic for me right now as i am in the middle of fabbing a bracket for the psgr side. in hope that it would work, I bought all the a/c brackets off a 69 mustang, but it put the york on the drvs side. For me it wouldn't work because my larger PS pump (sagggy) and vac. advance are there. But good for me, the holes on the head for the psngr side are mirror image of drv side, so I'm using the bracket that didn't fit as a template. I'll cut up some .25" thk scrap and have it welded and I'll bolt it up. So far no pics and all I have are some wooden templates, but it's in the works... I can't wait..!

MrLavender

rob - i put the tank under the drivers seat...it was a perfect fit between my side steps and the front end of the seat box, right where the front tank used to be. i think there might be room for a bigger tank if those steps werent in the way. i would take a picture, but i pulled it to make some bolt in brackets, rather than welded the way it was before. when it is finally finished i will post pics of the whole setup, but for now i have bigger fish to fry, ie doors and heat (i am freezin my a$$ off)

-Mike

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
Where you mount the tank will depend upon th esize of the tank. Initially, I used two fire extinguisher bottles for tanks. Then, as time and space changed, I was down to one tank. The tank was approx. one gal. But, with the York comp. it was still enough to air up my 35's. I am currently using a 2.5 gal. tank. I have it mounted to my engine cage. Also, make sure to add a drier inline between the comp. and tank. This will keep the foreign matter/water out of the tank.