• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions on Herculiner?

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
Looking for some feedback from those that have used Herculiner before. O'Reilly's has it for $50/gal after rebates right now & I am thinking of doing the bottom of my tub after paint(for ease of cleaning/rust protection/some sound deadening). I figure that 2 gallons should be plenty & allow 2-3 coats for good coverage & will only be $100. If I don't like it, I guess I could always slap one of the factory style rubber mats over it later on. Again,I'm after keeping it simple & easy to clean. Opinions/better ideas are welcomed:cool:.pierr.

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
herculiner is the best I have used that isnt sprayed, covers very well and works great

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Worse complaint I have with it is that it fades in sunlight very quickly. I've done two with it, one in Durabak and current rig is Raporliner. I'd like hear how the the new Duplicolor works out, Bed Armor, they're old reg bedliner wasn't much.

armynavy17

Contributor
What we did on our FJ40 was do a coat or two of Herculiner on the floorboards and then go over it with some crappy Duplicolor bed liner that we had left over from previous attempts to tone down the roughness. It actually is holding up really good over the past 3 years and we didn't even prep the surface. I still recommend that you do prep like the can says though, it's just one more thing to help it last.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I put the Herculiner on about 2 years ago and it is holding up well. It is pretty rough. I tried to clean up an oil spill on the floor of my Bronco and it ate up my papertowels pretty good. I'm not sure how it is for sound deadening but I think your idea to use 2 gallons on the bottom of your tub is a good idea and it should work well.

OP
OP
P

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
Thanks for the feedback guys! Sounds like a decent product(esp.for $50/gal.)I think I'll go ahead & get 2 gallons and maybe..?:?try to thin the last coat or something so it isn't so rough. If I don't like it,I'm only another%) $100 in the hole & can cover it w/ a rubber mat. Just can't justify the $400-600 for Rhino/Line-X on an occaisional use vehicle & don't want carpet.

dalydawg

Loc.
atlanta, tx
i recently put herculiner in my bronco and its working great so far. a Gallon covered the whole inside and its holding up well. Cut down on the price that they were gonna charge for the Rhino Liner they do in stores. i really recommend it.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
It's rough, too thin, and comes off too easily. We Herc'ed Frank's frame and Rhino'ed the interior, and the difference is HUGE. I'd say Herc is OK for exterior (bed, frame, undercoating), but I'd never put it inside anything.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I have it on mine - its okay but not great. Mine peeled a bit when I transported a fridge in the bronco. Prep is key. Yes its rough but why would you be barefoot anyways?

For $50 a gallon its hard to argue.

I'd use it again on the inside - especially if I were putting carpet over it. Herc, dynomat, carpet would be a good combo.

I bet it would be fine for undercoating too.

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i have used the herculiner , duplicolor bedliner, duplicolor bed armour, sem bedliner, and another but dont remember the brand. the herculiner has held up the best and is the easiest to put on. the duplicolor tr250 in the spray cans also matches pretty good for hard to reach places.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Don't cut corners on doing the prep work. 90% of the job is preparing the surface before you apply the liner. I did mine 7 or 8 years ago and it still looks great.

Hard to clean - yes (unless you take water hose and brush to it)
Rough on your body - yes (it will tear you up if you have to lay on it to work under the dash - add some floor mats)
Best value for the buck as they frequently have $10 rebates on the gallon size.
Don't know about the UV fade as I keep mine in a garage and it still looks new. I used a gallon plus a quart.
Buy the extra quart and return it if you don't end up using it.
Put tape plugs in any holes you want put bolts back into or they get clogged.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have seen it on a few different vehicles, does not compare to a real spray in liner.
The real liners have better texture and seen to be softer.
I use ARMA when getting mine done.,

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Got it in my interior and under hood for 9 ys and it's great especially for price diff between it and Rhino etc. Took me 1 gallon and 1 pint so you'll do fine w/ 2 gallons. Prep work has to be done per the instructions or it won't adhere properly. If you're going to use a brush or roller don't thin it. Apply liberally. The thicker the better for wear.

It is rougher than spray-in liner but real men prefer rough.;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have seen it on a few different vehicles, does not compare to a real spray in liner.
The real liners have better texture and seen to be softer.
I use ARMA when getting mine done.,

x10. I used it once..in the bed of a Scout project. Yuk...and I was stuck with it.

I was already spoiled by Line-X and was trying to cheap out on the Scout project. Never made that mistake again either.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I've seen Herculiner on a couple of Broncos...its just not that good. I guess if you do an excellent job, then maybe it will be OK. Look at the "Pro" sprayed liners, many, many times better. As many postive replys as we have seen in this thread, I have seen at least as many, maybe 2X more saying they would never do it again. Raptor has received some decent reviews as well as that "Al's Liner" that you can find in the Vendor section. He's sold quite a bit here and several people have reported to be happy with it...

Good luck with your choice...remember, you will only get to do this ONCE!