• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions on replacement tub builders

mebco09

I may be in the market for a new tub. There are a lot of makers out there, interested in opinions from those who have gone down this road.

Price does matter, but more interested in an easy transaction with shipping etc. and buying a quality product that doesn't need a bunch of extra body work.

Most of these guys seem to be East of the Mississippi, I'm on the Left coast. Look like shipping is going to be $1500-$2000.

Fabrication time isn't really a factor. I don't need this tub for 12 months (or longer)

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One builder told me - figure on spending 20k-25k fitting his built tub to chassis and other panels to get it ready to paint. And that "lots of tweaking will be needed." After I bought it. How bad is your tub? I'm super picky and building a Bronco with doors and hardtop and dashboard that all need to close and open and seal, and am having to go through lots of metal work to a new tub. How bad is your tub.... ;)

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Do you mind sharing which builder? $20-25k is more than a couple weeks of blocking! I'm not super picky, but I would expect a new tub not to need a lot of fitting.

Every panel on this tub is gone, ie. either needs body work, either dents, rust or both or missing. 20 years ago this bronco would have been scrapped, and surprisingly wasn't. Basically a title with a pile of junk attached. But lots of usable other parts.

Just looking at options to resurrect it.

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
Northeast Classic Ford Parts just finished my tub today. The picture of the tub I posted is mine. I have to go pick it up. I was kept well informed of the build process. I've seen one of Nick's complete tubs in the past and they're pretty damn sweet.

Attachments

• Bronco tub.jpg
    Bronco tub.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 180

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If I was buying a new tub I would be dropping off my rolling chassis and they would be putting the body on it. Cant see the true fit and finish until its mounted. once its in your hand if you don't like it who's going to pay to fix it? I would run from the guy who says you have to pay 25K for fitting after you get the tub. I also would not buy a new stripped tub. you want a complete assembled body. so there are no gotchas.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Northeast Classic Ford Parts just finished my tub today. The picture of the tub I posted is mine. I have to go pick it up. I was kept well informed of the build process. I've seen one of Nick's complete tubs in the past and they're pretty damn sweet.

So how much do you have in this body if you don't mine me asking.It looks complete other than a top?

gmduncan

Contributor
Loc.
Annapolis
Just picked the new tub up today. Very happy with the tub. It's solid. Thanks Nick...

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 126

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
If I was buying a new tub I would be dropping off my rolling chassis and they would be putting the body on it. Cant see the true fit and finish until its mounted. once its in your hand if you don't like it who's going to pay to fix it? I would run from the guy who says you have to pay 25K for fitting after you get the tub. I also would not buy a new stripped tub. you want a complete assembled body. so there are no gotchas.

Agreed.

My Painter said to expect some post fitting and adjustments, the sanding, prep, seam sealing, primer, sanding, and the list goes on...

I decided to just do the work myself and learned a lot. I appreciate all those here who provided advise, courage, and all the videos folks shot over the years and posted here.

TheLimeRanger

I've been to LAL a bunch of times. They do it all there. When I ready to take the plunge that's where I'm going. I think ideally having one shop do it all I think is the best way to go. You KNOW the paint shop is going to blame the builder and the builder is going to blame the painter. Forget that